Saturday, March 13, 2004



There are Giants in the sky!
There are big tall terrible Giants
in the sky!

When you're way up high
And you look below
At the world you left
And the things you know,
Little more than a glance
Is enough to show
You just how small you are.


Sometimes this is the way I feel when I come back to Atlanta after living in North Georgia for so long. It's like I come into my parents subdivision and from the exit ramp off of 85 to their driveway, I have already passed more people than I see in an entire day at home. This is rather strange being so overwhelmed. I feel like I have left this big world of Atlanta, to be in my mountains. When I came around the the curve into the city and the sky line was on top of me, I had two reactions: 1) I want to move back here and 2) holy cow this is a big city, the skyscrapers are giants. I feel small and non-existant, yet young and empowered. I am excited by the really cool billboards that change every three seconds and have beautiful advertising that initiates my "spending money I don't have" button. This is a bad button to push. My senses find the Varisty sign a true catalyst for emotions of nostalgia. They are emotions of who I thought I was (this is called delusion) when I lived here on my own. I really wanted to be that person, and today I am more that person than ever, but I don't live in Atlanta. As I drew closer to the house of my parents, things set in that I forget about that are little luxuries. For example, I leave my keys in my car so I won't lose them. I lose my keys all the time. This is a great improvement considering that when I used to drink I wouldn't lose my keys, but I would lose my car. That makes things a lot more difficult. The other thing I noticed last night was that I could hear the neighbors pull into their driveway at midnight last night and when I sit still in the house, I can hear the street noise. There is not a street per se where I am. There is a gravel drive. The most noise I get is when the guys get drunk, five acres away, and shoot the wild pigs that have been tearing through the woods off the back side of Tray Mountain. I do like the sound of the creek when I am trying to sleep in the summer and all my windows are open. (I don't have airconditioning, strangley, I don't need it either.) The city is really amazing in all it's aspects and I look forward to roaming about with my family today to do daily or rather weekendly type errands, but it is pretty overwhelming.

No comments: