Wednesday, March 17, 2004


Children go where I send thee……


How great is Agnes Scott? I can’t believe that I graduated from there. I am the guy who graduated last in its medical school, which means ya still have to call me doctor. Receiving my Main Events Alumni Newspaper in my PO Box along with my card from my little brother (thanks Carter), which I opened first, I opened my paper this morn to find that one of the columns, not the headline, but a column albeit on the front page was about one of the return to college women. I used to run around with several RTC’s at Scott and was really grateful for the program. It is a program designed for women to come back to college after there has been a significant break in their college careers. In this woman’s case, she has had a 21 year break and is 42 years of age with two school age kids and they have recruited her for the college cross country team. Now, ASC is not on a level to be able to give money to athletes. It is strictly an academic private institution that runs head to head with the big dogs on endowment, but never has it been an athletic promoting institution. So this woman gets out there to run a 6k for her first race as a Scottie. She failed to mention to the coach that the reason she dropped out of school twenty years ago was to train for the 1984 Olympics. The coach says they have a hard time reeling her in so she won’t go so fast. She broke her ankle in the Olympic trial and was unable to compete so she switched to cycling which she missed the Olympic team by seconds for in that sport. Imagine that. He time on the 6k, for Graybeal’s sake, was 22 minutes and 18 seconds. Wanna ‘nother competitor for your race? Call ASC, we have an Olympian available.


No comments: