Wednesday, March 24, 2004


And I could see clearly/an indelible line was drawn/between what was good/what just slipped out……


So I rented some movies last night. I have found a new picture company that I really like and am desperate to get my hands on every film they produce. Most of their pictures stretch the imagination a bit and push the boundaries of a “normal” big film. The most interesting is that they have the money to get the big names. The ones I have already seen are: Sylvia, Lost In Translation, Gosford Park, The Pianist and The Kid Stays In the Picture!. The one I am in the midst of right now is 21 Grams and looking forward to the one with Jim Carey and Kate Winslet: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and then Reese Witherspoon is doing one as well, but I can’t remember the name of it. Each movie has photographic artistic expression, mixed media and intense acting that most of the time we only see on the stage as opposed to film. These films really allow the actors to use their talents as opposed to just do their job. I am really impressed with all the films they have produced. Did I mention the name of the company? Focus Features. I think it is backed by Universal, but it is not the status quo type Universal Film pictures. These are really good pieces. Each movie has a plot line, character development, emotional intrigue, artistic direction, editing, and cinematography. It’s as if someone is using their brain to make a movie. I love it!

I actually watched two movies last night: Gothika and 2/3rds of 21 Grams (does that make it 18 Grams?). Gothika was definitely a decent scary movie. It had all the elements of a scary film needed to make the 110 film: asylum, shaky electric system, undiscovered murders, crazy people, ghosts, shrinks, barn with scary utensils in it, a good screaming actress, a plot that led you to believe that one person did it and takes a twist., the girl running the wrong direction, the scary music, chase scenes, an obsessive male, the whole ball of wax! It even kept your attention for the whole 110 minutes. Will I ever rent it again? No, I know the ending. Will I forget the ending and rent it again like Usual Suspects or The Sting? No, I will never forget and rent it for good acting or cinematography or anything else. It did have a new (well at least to me) place to hide, which I thought was pretty genius. I will rent 21 Grams again. It is set up so that the plot is a simple conjoined with detailed intrigued. The picture is set in a misconstrued time line so as to make the audience pay attention to the movie. It requires thought in order to follow. It deals with emotions that are tough to grab onto that are conveyed by excellent actors: Sean Penn (Mystic River, iamsam, and everything else), Benecio Del Torres (Traffic) and Naomi Watts (the Ring, Les Divorce). Through out the plot it throws out controversial ideals that create coffee house conversation. The director has managed to capture exceptional view points, placed them at angles with lighting and film texture that conveys an array of spectacles for the eyes, ears, mind and heart. The picture builds with intensity as the time line becomes more and more straight and the pieces fall into place yet with still unanswered questions that lead to more focused attraction. And writing about it only makes me want to see the last 7 Grams of it!

These films that Focus Features are producing are just good movies. No question. They are not, however, the mainstream by any stretch of the imagination which is why they are as good as they are, or at least that is my two bits.


No comments: