Friday, March 26, 2004


One thing is for sure, if you are empty, you’ll get bit……



So I saw a great production last night. I went with the woman who owns the flower shop and her friends. I felt privileged to belong to the group of women. Each woman was well educated, well spoken, had her own quirkiness about her, self confidence, self esteem, beauty and wisdom. I felt like……I felt like I was out with a set of Agnes Scott Women. When I was in college I didn’t do the museums or art show, any plays or productions. I even worked in the special events department and didn’t really take advantage of the…..system, so to speak. I was more into drinkin’, smokin’ and midnight tokin’. I sent for my transcripts to review for a professor to find out what course I should plot for my masters. I don’t have the slightest clue how I graduated. Now that I am more settled, I am ready for all those things. I desire the Fox and the theatre productions in black boxes and exactly like last night. I was out with six other women. Each was thoroughly interesting. The woman that I spent most of my time talking with was Lori. She was a woman from Miami. She had a stout stature, well kept, short hair that was stylish yet conservative, conservative in dress and accessory, great style and class, she had poise and tact (which I have none of), she and I spoke almost all night about all the weird things on NPR and how sad it is that Bob Edwards was leaving Morning Edition and how Tavis Smiley sounds like he is from Atlanta but is really out of California somewhere. It was such a wonderful evening: the theatre, educated women, flowers, who could ask for more?

The production was called “Talking With….” It was a series of monologues that contained different perspectives of American women. There were eleven women overall. The two I enjoyed the most were “the audition” which was portrayed by a friend, where she got to be an insane auditioned actress. Then there was the older woman with “the lamps”. She wasn’t old, old, but she was older and beautiful silver hair. It was a great expression of women. It was interesting to see all the women and what they had to say. They expressed their lives with their hopes and dreams, changes and tragedies. There was no plot or anything, just stories. The play was comparable to the musical “Quilters” with out music, although it contrasted by being about random women as opposed to only prairie women at the turn of the century. I guess, probably another one of my favorites was “the handler,” which was an Ozark type woman who handled snakes, in the end she pulled a live snake out of the box. I almost ran out the door. Her monologue was good though. I was glad to realize that it was not a real moccasin (as her monologue said) but that it was only a live snake. Live still wasn’t really comfortable though. She was probably the best next to crazy woman auditioned and the lamps. What was strange was that they all came out after it was over; they were not all that far off from the actual characters. Strange. But appropriate.

No comments: