Wednesday, March 03, 2004

MOVIE REVIEW:

Why don’t you rustle up some grub?

Yes, this is the most exciting line in EVERY western. Oh, goodness. I did it. I rented Open Range. I trusted Carter’s opinion that it was a good, but not excellent movie. I stayed up late to finish the movie even. It never got better than the first scene. It was tremendously boring and dragged on and on. I kept hoping that the script would explode with meaning or originality. It never happened. The script must be as long as the Passion’s (85 pages). None of it was original material. Every line in the whole movie was stolen from previous western classics or from western tv shows. Kevin totally got out acted by his cast too. Man, Annett would hand out these lines and Kevin just could not return them with any chemistry or conviction or drama (which if you are going to be an actor, having drama is a good thing; kind of what you are paid for). Then Robert was so good. He showed all of the crosses between doing the right thing and the fear that comes with that mixed with the love for a life he didn’t have and….I could go on, but I think you get my drift. There is a reason Robert DuVall is an oscar award holding actor. The only one who didn’t do as well as Kevin was the French kid who had a total of 5 lines, which is enough in the actor’s guild to be paid big bucks. I am not sure that you can determine acting quality after five lines (although that is how Brad Pitt got his start in Thelma and Louise(SP)…….among other reasons….like a really hot body). The directing was amazing considering that I think that the actors only were on the set all at one time for a week. Everything else was cut to pieces. The cinematography in this film was great. It gave it the makings of an epic. The music was pretty good too. I thought it was great humor for the music to serge in a threatening way just when the puppy was getting swept away in the flash flood waters only to be saved by Kev. Dogs played great roles in this film. They were the highlights that evoked true emotional gripes, I mean grips for me. My sarcasm is getting worse by the second. Unfortunately, the movie was awful. I am having a hard time believing that I rented this movie, but I wanted it to be good so badly. I wanted it to be Tombstone and it just was not even in the same league. I guess I will go see the Passion and love it.

No comments: