Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Oh the Horror.......

So it was noticed last night that I rent a lot of DVD's. This is true. I am a movie nut. I just like movies. The one I watched last night was just off the wall wierd though. I think that Francis Ford Coppola is just good at making wierd movies. I decided to hibernate in my apartment yesterday after work because I was so tired. One of the best ways to relax is movies of course. I had rented movies on Saturday and forgot about them. So I figured since it was still daylight outside that I would watch the creepy one first. I didn't know how creepy it was, I just knew that it was. While I was watching the film, the power went out. I was really grateful it was still daylight out or I would have totally tripped out. Then, even weirder, once the movie came back on and it is into serious creepyness, this loud thud runs into my window. I thought maybe it was a bird that had seen its reflection until I heard scurrying and birds don't typically scurry. I went over to see what was going on and it was a deformed squirrel. It looked aweful. I think either a hawk dropped it and it hit my window, or it was trying to swing from tree to tree and missed. I don't know. All I know is that creepy movie + powerlessness + scary psycho squirrel = Rae is wigged out. So I called and talked to my brother for a while to calm me down and put me back into the right frame of mind again. Then I settled into another movie for about an hour till bed time. I am a night owl so I don't lay down for bed until about a quarter of eleven. Sometimes earlier if I want to read and such. I don't seem to sleep until eleven. I don't know why other than I am my father's daughter. He's a night owl too, more than me.

Movie review:

Apocalypse Now is more creepy than just about any other movie I have ever seen. I guess that when a movie is supposed to be creepy and you come away from it feeling creepy, then it has done it's job. This movie was made just after the Vietnam War so a lot of people believe it has something to do with that, but it doesn't. It was, according to the book, supposed to be set into the Congo, but due to the hay-day of the 70's Coppola moved it to Vietnam/Cambodia. This is a great trick of all time. Tell the audience it is about something they protest and they will watch--it's a lie. Not to mention a good portion of the US was into the drug scene and what not in that era too. This movie would have been beyond comprehension insane if I had been on acid or cocaine. No wonder it has gained so much clout.

The movie is really about one man's account of a descension into hell. By hell, I mean the depths of insanity. It is very similar to a movie that was filmed not long ago called Quills. And as Quills is gross, this movie makes Quills look like a PG flick. Marlon Brando is really good at being mysterious and Martin Sheen is really good at looking shocked. Between the two of them and a crazy director, you get a three and a half hour movie that has nothing to do with the War. Robert DuVall did do a good job at his bit. He played a desensitized colonel who was to transport Martin through a not so good area. Man, he was really physically fit in his day! Go Robert! Some of the shots in the movie were good. The description photographically of what was happening was awesome. The intense possiblity that this could be real was neat too. It was extremely drawn out and in some parts overplayed. It seemed to me that Coppola was trying to get some of Nam in there so that it would not be a complete lie and in reality all he did was drag it out.

The making of the film its self was tremedous. The actual story was aweful. The upfront facade was ridiculous and did not help. If Coppola had stuck to the plot lines a little better, I think it would have made a little more sense. It started out as a war thing and then turned into what would have happened had the airplane not rescued the boys on the island in Lord Of The Flies. THEN, speaking of Lord Of The Flies, it just ends. No rhyme or reason other than no one else was willing to watch any more. Insanity was rampant throught out this film. A good way to explain this film is Vietnam meets the Island of Dr. Moreau.

Would I ever recommend this film to anyone.....only if you needed extra credit for your AP English class and could fall asleep in a recliner. Anyway, unless you just run out of everything else in the world to do, don't see this flick. C- on a ten point scale, which is an 80.

No comments: