Thursday, August 21, 2003

I'm just trying to find a decent melody.....

Its been a while since I have had a chance to write in the blog. A lot has happened since last Friday and I am not really sure where to begin. The things that are most on my mind right now are: Nicki, fickleness at work and Sermon On the Mount.

Nicki is a friend of mine whose father died. I went to Savannah to go to the funeral and Nicki was all shot out. It was a beautiful service....at least that is what everyone always says. Personally, I was grateful to see Nicki, because he has been in Savannah so much waiting on death. I can't imagine that happening. His father had cancer and they were just waiting for his father to expire. It sounds aweful. It was strange being there and meeting so much of his family. They were so loving and kind and full of hospitality even under the circumstances of the visit. His mom wants John and I to come back down to visit at the river house. That would be a nice long weekend. I hope that he knows that he is well loved and missed and there is a lot of concern for his well being and safe return.

Work has been kind of fickle. On one hand I am offered a really cool new position. On the other hand folks are talking about the plant shutting down for two weeks to get its affairs in order (this would exclude my new position, and include my current position). So, in all reality, I don't have the slightest deal as to what is happening here. Well, God is bigger than the manufacturing sector. I am not worried, because I have no idea how to react. Sometimes I just need to be reminded that I have no control over my employment and that God really is in control of my life. When I get baffled and confused, that is the easiest time to admit powerlessness.

Sermon on the Mount, by Emit Fox, is intense. It is an in depth study of Christ's testimony in Matthew. He is a really good writer with a lot of powerful ideas--both Matthew and Emit. I am just begining it, however, it is hard to put down. I want to underline every line so I won't forget things. It is not wordy either so it makes it a faster read than imagined. I like books like this. The main thing I like about this one though in comparison to Conversations with God, is that it is based on the same premise that I have grown up with all my life--Christianity. Some of the other books are not based on anything other than thoughts of some random person. This one is based on thoughts from a random person too, however he just includes biblical word. I don't know, I just like it and that is really all that matters to me.



No comments: