Monday, August 11, 2003

I am still enchanted
By the light you brought to me


So on Friday, John and I tried to go see one of my girlfriends in a play at the Habersham Co Community Center, however, it was all sold out. We left flowers and a card for her. I was rather disappointed to miss her production. She is so kind and came to see mine, but she is already cast for another production, so I will plan ahead next time. Since we couldn't get in at the play, we went to see a friend of ours who is a famous potter. He had his brick kiln going full blast. He only lights it about once a month. The top temperature in the kiln is 2700 degrees. It is all heat from WOOD! Amazing. What's even cooler (ark ark--sorry) is to see the pottery inside the kiln at that temp. The fire is so hot that it seems as though it is alive. There is no question that it is a living breathing thing. It was so hot the color was white and it gave the perception of hot lava. Slowly it worked its way down to blue, but it didn't completely go back to red the whole time we were there. The clay was glazed so as to create different colors on the pottery. John bought one of the pieces that was in there while we were there. The potter said that John got the last one, because he was discontinuing that particular piece. He said that most of the pieces were spoken for prior to entering the kiln, however, he throws in one or two every now and then that are not pre-sold. He is such a neat man. I had no idea how much goes into making pottery. The kiln itsself was made of a specific type of brick with a specific type of mud holding it together. The clay within the pottery itself had certain elements in it as well as the glaze. It was neat to be a part of his craft considering that people pay thousands of dollars for his work. His father's work was bought and placed in one of the Smithsonians and he is the first ever folk artist to be included in them. More likely than not, my friend will end up there too. He is a great man, just as down home as they come too. It was so..........I am grateful to have experienced it. There is no real way to describe it.

Saturday there was not much of anything special. I went to meet with friends and talk about God early morning and then ate lunch at Alice's. From there I rented two movies. I rented "The Replacements" and "Resevior Dogs." Replacements was pretty good for a B- movie. It seemed a little discombobblulated. Resevior was probably one of the worst movies in history. The actual scenes were expertedly directed and very momentizing (by this I mean grabbed lots of moments of real expression of the actors). The cast was outstanding. The costuming was perfect. The movie was atrocious. There was no real anything except a movie for film students and other folks in the field. It was also off the scale when it came to blood, which is characteristic of Quentin Tarentino, the director. My friends in highschool went on and on about this movie and I could never see it because I was not allowed to see rated R movies. I wasn't even able to sit longer than about twenty minutes at the begining because it was so unbelievably boring. After that I spruced my apartment up while it was playing in the background. This movie goes in the same pile as Road to Perdition with Tom Hanks. I didn't watch them both on Saturday, however I rented them both on Saturday. I watch Replacements on Saturday and Dogs on Sunday. I also began a quilt. I tried this once last year and couldn't quite get the feel for it, but this year I am using a book. Hopefully, the guidance in the book will lead me to a completed quilt as opposed to just some piecin'. There was a quilt show on the square in Cleveland that inspired me to give it a second try. So I have go one side of a double quilt made so far. We shall see if it really becomes something. Saturday night I went to meet with friends and talk about God and I was blessed to lead the discussion. I decided to talk about willingness and the discussion was awesome. It really got to the crux of what I am doing. Willingness seems as simple a concept as anything, however, it is one of the most difficult when there is contempt or resentment or fear. God rocks.

Sunday, I went to brunch with John, his sons, one girlfriend and his father. I was so grateful we were all sitting down, because as soon as they stood up, the conversation was on a different level. They are all six feet and over. The girlfriend swore she was only five-eleven, but she had on shoes. I felt like I was at a conference breakfast for the tall. John's youngest son is 14 years old and six-three, 230 lbs. He is great. He plays soccer as the goalie and the other kids call him the Wall. HA! Anywho. We took him home to his mother's house and then went for a drive in the mountains. I love where I live. It is beautiful. Around every turn is just another reminder of why I believe there is God and I am not him. From there I went to my home to watch the second movie (Dogs), piece and spruce. By the time I got to meet with friends last night, I was so well rested that someone even commented on it. What a great easy weekend. No stress. No traveling. No nothing, just me. I still am in that same mindframe that some people call peace of mind.

No comments: