Monday, July 21, 2003

Oh what a beautiful morning.....weekend...


So Thursday evening John and I left to go to the mighty West Virginia. It tooks us five/six hours to get there and as it turns out that I have not been paying enough attention. Mrs. Kahle, his mother, lives in a "suburb" of Bluefield, W.Va. Anybody who knows anything about movies knows Bluefield. There are two famous people from Bluefield, amazingly enough. First and foremost, Homer Hickam. Second and most importantly, Dr. John Nash, Jr.. Duh. . . Thirdly and closest to my heart, is John S. Kahle. (he has never been in a movie though, just my movie!) Mrs. Kahle said that she did not have the priveledge of teaching Homer, however she studied with Homer's teacher who went to this little community college in the city next door, Princeton or Athens or something. She said that she did know Dr. Nash's father and that she always thought there was something a little off about "John." She said that the movie was a little glamorous in comparison to the truth.

But we got into Bramwell, the suburb, around one o'clock in the morn. Bramwell is known as having more millionares per capita than any other city in the US at one point in time (19 millionares with in ~10 sq miles!). It is obvious that Bramwell is where the people who owned the mines lived. The houses are beautiful and the town is super quaint. We slept in until 11 the next day. Then John bought his mother's car and then we went to a play. Yes there was a play in Bramwell. But before the play John took me to a state park called Pipestaff where there is a huge gorge. He was hoping to get me on this sky bucket thing that takes you to the bottom of the gorge (I DON'T THINK SO!!!) It was a sky bucket similar to the ones at Six Flags and the difference was instead of the ground being twenty feet below you it was 300 ft below you. So needless to say, I didn't go on the thing. I am afraid of trams not to mention a 300 ft sky bucket!!! So we looked around in the shops and walked a bit. The play, "The Foreigner" was playing at the Masonic Lodge in Bramwell. It was absolutely hysterical. I laughed and laughed. It is all about a man who is afraid of talking to people and has no personality so his friend tells everyone he doesn't speak English (mind you he is really from England). It was awesome. All the actors were local, sort of. Their parents all lived in Bramwell and there was one man who was a resident. They were mostly all paid NYC actors who came in for the weekend specifically to do the production. Then afterwards we walked to the Depot for music. On the way we stopped in this Victorian Store and John bought me a beautiful black shaw. I love it. The music was good at the Depot and then we walked home. We swang on the swing on the front porch and talked into the wee hours of the morning. One of the nice things about WVA is that there is no such thing as hot. Mrs. Kahle said that it was sweltering at 72 degrees. It was so lovely like out of a dream. The next day we did nothing, except catch up and eat. We had dinner at a buffet place that Mrs. Kahle like to go on the other side of the mountain in a place called Narrow (pronounced Narras). There we went by the New River, which is one of the oldest rivers in the US and strangley enough flows north. Then we came home and drove around John's new car (well new used car!:)). On Sunday we headed back Georgia way and I got a flat. I was very thankful that John was with me. He is replacing my tires some time today or tomorrow. Then he and I went to talk with friends about God and I went home, said my prayers, read Anne and went to bed.

No comments: