Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Burning Bushes

Last night I went to meet with friends to talk about God and I got to bring up the topic of discussion. I really didn't know what to talk about, as is the case when I am put on the spot, but just like my cleaning (which is going great by the way! Update: Laundry in the car to be done this afternoon. Kitchen cleaned. There are four bags of laundry!!! Thank God for big washers at the mat! Go Rachel!) it is easy once I get going. the page that I like a lot talks about spiritual experiences/awakenings and being rocketed into the fourth dimension. Now the point that I liked the most was brought up that I have never actually seen a burning bush, however the idea is that Moses saw the bush burning but not being consumed. I understand what that is: each person is a burning bush, burning but not being consumed until perhaps upon death. Each person is a miracle. So now when I see my friends or have interaction with them, it seems different today. I may lose this feeling, gratitude, but it is good for today.

I also went to see a friend who I thought might be sick, but it turned out he wasn't. He was just tired. We watched these crazy dating things on Cinemax that didn't make any sense at all. This one guy who lived in NYC asked out every beautiful woman he came across just on the basis of a Jack Karouac novel. Wierd. But it worked. He had two dates by the end of the fifteen minute segment. When they were interviewing him on the camera he would wear a blind fold so that he couldn't see the beautiful women walking by and therefor would not miss an opportunity to ask her out. It was funny. Courage is hard, but rewarding. That is the other thing about cleaning and talking. . .even though I may not be asking out every beautiful woman I see (which I am sure both my family and John are very grateful for) I am doing little courageous things for myself. Super cleaning and making a discussion are scary things if you are me, and doing them takes courage because it means that I am taking care of myself. Self care leads to God's will. These little courageous acts are what make me a burning bush.

No comments: