Thursday, July 17, 2003

Katydids

Last night I am standing around talking with several friends and there was a woman who said that the reason she had moved back up to North Georgia after being in the city for so long was to hear the katydids. She said that once the katydids began to sing it would be six weeks before the first frost. I don't know all that much about when frosts come or go, but what I do have is a memory with Katydids.

When I was little and I'd wonder when summer would ever get here! (which is a big wonder for a ten year old!) I knew that it was just a matter of time because the katydids would sing at night when the temperature warmed up. This also meant that there was nothing left to do in school except give the teacher her gift and have a party. Then it would be HOT. Katydids told me it would be hot for the summer. Katydids told me when the swim season was almost on me and the pool would be open full blast. Katydids told me that the three o'clock showers would cool us off in the afternoon. Katydids told me nothing was going to get me. Katydids told me everything was okay. The strange thing is, I think I have only ever seen a Katydid once--big green grasshopper looking thing--but I hear a Katydid no matter where I go. I can't imagine having a summer without Katydids.

No comments: