Saturday, April 10, 2004


Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out to the crowd,
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks,
I don't care if I ever get back.........


So me, I rooted for the home team last night. Even after the rents went to bed, I watched ever faithful to the Braves. I have no idea what happened. I felt just like my Dad and my brother. Fell asleep before the end. I woke up to the sound of a tv show brat-tat-tat-tat-ing a machine gun. I turned it off, climbed the steps to the bedroom that has never been mine. This morning when I woke, I assumed they lost. If there is anything that seems to be a guarantee, it is that when I take the time to watch the game and try to participate, the team inevitably loses. I watched the Braves with my family from the time I was in Atlanta until I got fed up because of teenage issues and the fact that I had never seen them win. Funny enough they went first the following season. On occasion since that thirteenth birthday I have tried to watch. I have even been to the Ted twice or three times with friends to see a game to no avail. Although, mostly I went to drink and pretend I was a normal person like my brother and alas, I am not. Just the same, they haven't won while I watch. I am supposed to go with a group of friends and a group of co-workers to see these guys play. While I like to talk a lot of smack about who is the best looking, has the nicest smile and so on, in reality, I get the game. I understand the reasons behind the umpires making the calls they make, the pitchers throwing the pitches they throw and the infielders playing to home as opposed to second. Do I know the history of every player and the reasoning behind the genius of Bobby Cox choosing to place the players in certain roles or the madness behind the big wig Scheurholz picking the players or discarding players? No clue. Does my brother or Dad? Doubtful, otherwise they would be Bobby and John not Carter and Frank. The game is not complicated with flags and knees and whether or not he is over the 12 yard line or why they have to go backwards five yards for no apparent reason. It is clean and clear cut. Try to get around the bases by keeping the ball away from the other team using a bat if you are offense, or defensive, get to the base with the ball before the runner or don't let them have it, or catch it before it hits the ground. Nothing fast or furious. Do this each team for nine halves each. See who gets around the bases the most wins. Got it? Got it. Is it exciting? Yes. Is it interesting, probably with more knoweldge about the players, even more so. Does the team I watch, the Braves, ever win? Supposedly, just not on my watch.

No comments: