Thursday, April 29, 2004

-Can we talk about something else, please?
-No, I am incapable of small talk, but that is why you love me.


So I went to the gym yesterday and even through I burned a ton of calories, I felt awful. I changed my diet here in the past couple of weeks and after all the researching and talking about it and reading books and magazines and etc, I decided on my brother’s experience, strength and hope to apply in my own life: He did 20 minutes of cardio vascular work 3 times a week and cut 300 calories out of his daily diet. I have tried the Dad plan: replace a meal with a salad. I have tried the Dr. Akins plan: don’t eat sugar and pass out. I have tried the Rachel plan: eat whatever, whenever, wherever and stay plump. The Carter plan seems to be working. I am eating a Lean Cuisine meal at night and if I have to snack I eat grapes. I am eating a salad and fruit at lunch with perhaps a small amount of pasta or a small bag of chips or yogurt for lunch. I am eating a bowl of Special K with strawberries for breakfast. I feel better. I am exercising on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes about 4-5 times a week. I never go two days in a row with out 30 minutes of cardio. I feel better.

Yesterday, I had Zaxby’s hot wings and chicken fingers meal. While I did not swallow without chewing, I did eat a good bit, but not cleaning the plate. Actually, one of my co-workers was surprised that I didn’t eat everything. I was really proud. By the time I got to the gym I was sluggish and run down. I felt tired like I had been carrying a heavy book bag for too long. It reminded me of what Carter must have felt like to get from one class to the other in Chamblee with that giganto book bag he had. So back to the Carter plan I go today. This morning after prayers and shower time, I had a bowl of Special K with strawberries, and something inside of me said never again do I want to go back to being that slug. I like my cereal mornings where I sit at a table surrounded by green plants, watch the sunrise, listen to the creek and read my meditation. This morning’s was about prayer: that prayer is a tool that can be used all day, everyday and that it can be the saving grace in ultimate life darkening times. I feel better already today and am grateful that I can sit at the computer and cross my legs comfortably. I can wear my favorite pair of khakis with no tightness or embarrassment of that strong pull at the top button at the waist and no panty line. Oh, I know that Zaxby’s is a temptation that will no longer be since I enjoy the benefits of the Carter plan more. Thank you God for making me feel better. Thank you God for my brother.

No comments: