Friday, January 30, 2004

Who will buy my sweet red roses?
Two blooms for a penny.
Who will buy my sweet red roses?
Two blooms for a penny.


So I have a new favorite place. While I love coffee shopping and country store shopping, I have found yet another wonderful place to sit and talk. It is a quaint shop of flowers called Gertie Mae’s. It is set in “the curve” of Clarkesville. The whole shop has a hip, but antiqued look to it. The flowers are all fresh and sold by the stem. My girlfriend owns the place and it is tre sheik. I go there on Thursdays for lunch. No, no food is served, I just bring it with me around noon and sit and talk while she makes bouquets or wreaths or anything you can imagine for flowers. She sells flowers and jewelry, art and t-shirts, chairs and birdfeeders. This week my co-worker had fallen and busted her face pretty badly, so we (the office) got her flowers from there. I went to eat lunch as usual, and pick up the bouquet. It was so lovely. I almost didn’t want to give it to her. Isn’t that horrible? It was a lovely set of purple tulips, lavender gladiolas and an assortment of other hues of violet flowers. Thankfully, my girlfriend gave me three stems that she couldn’t sell. She gave me a broken purple tulip, two purple lilies that were missing two blooms on a four stemmed lily, and a too small yellow rose. They are on my desk in a tall, cone shaped, white coffee mug. It has a tiny bit of silver cruelled ribbon wrapped around the handle. It is such a delight to have them on my desk. I will take them home today to visit with my mums and peace lily. Flowers are so nice. They make everything more spruced. Anne decorated the parlor all the time with flowers from around Green Gables. I almost forgot why she did that until these precious imperfect stems came to be in my desperately corporate cubicle. I don’t think I will ever miss another Thursday lunch at Gertie Mae’s.

No comments: