Thursday, January 29, 2004

Money, money, money, money………………….MONEY!!!!

So I was so excited that a friend of mine came to visit me yesterday at the office. He is my insurance man, but he is also my friend. Noah is his name. In the course of inquiry in regards to my insurance, we rolled into my financial stability. I was telling him how my parents really want me to get away from them: using them as a crutch; how my student loan will never end and how I have no idea what it means to be financially stable. This has been an on-going chat that we have had over the course of about two months. He knows all about creditors, because he used to a) be in debt and b) work for a creditor and c) still has friends in the business. So we roll about money on a regular basis. I also am able to communicate about my fears, lack of courage and undisciplined behavior. He is such a person that I can hear in this department. There are some people that I can hear and others that I can’t, i.e. My Dad can tell me all about money all day long and how I need to…….. (well about anything all day long) and I can’t hear him; Michelle calls me a gypsy in regards to money and that I need to do……and I can’t hear her; John says if you want good things then………I quit listening; Noah speaks and I hear what he is saying! The visit yesterday was a good one. He came for clarification with other people in the office for their insurance and signing forms and whatever else is insurance oriented, but he brought me a tool. Over lunch we sat and talked about what is considered debt, needs and wants in both my perception and in the real world: i.e. going to the movies is a want not a need. He he, JK. Although, there are times that I do think this way. Sick, real sick. He brought me a tool that is produced by the Consumer Credit Services. Now, I have used these guys before because they are a non-profit designed to consolidate, teach and serve the not so hot debtor. They helped me about two or three years ago, however, I was so unruly then that I couldn’t even keep up with them. The booklet that Noah went over with me is a workbook of sorts with short/medium/long term goals, budgetary tips, what a bank looks at when considering me as a possible creditor for a loan or whatever and all sorts of other cool things. It’s really cool. It suggests that I put 5-10% of my net income a month into an emergency fund that would be 3-6 months of my “salary” so to catch me in a crunch. What a concept! The secretary/treasurer thing that I do calls this a prudent reserve: basic operation monies for a set amount of time, preferably three months. For me this is ten dollars a week. No, I don’t make much money, but luckily, I don’t need it either. I live in a low income area and only low income is needed to be well settled. I look forward to having lots of things that I want as I become more disciplined with my monies. Hopefully, this new tool will be a solution to the rebellion I have been suffering from in my financial world. We shall see. I am not much into this whole growing up scenario, but it has forced its self upon me with a vengeance here in the last couple of years. And while I understand I am not at a 27 year old level, rather more at a 22/23 year old level, I am doing better than ever and can feel a difference on the inside. I am grateful that I have found someone who I can hear, or maybe it is the willingness to take guidance in this area that I should be grateful. Which ever it may be, I am grateful for the willingness to grow.

No comments: