Thursday, June 03, 2004

Make new friends, but keep the old:
Some are silver, Some are gold…


So who knew that my big sister from Agnes Scott would be so cool after all this time? I felt like Carter yesterday. Well, as much as I perceive Carter to be. My girlfriend Vicki came up to visit me. She was on her way back from her month long vacation. She and her daughter were traveling around the east coast and took time to stop in little old Sautee. We did all kinds of things. We walked the strip in Helen, which in all the time I have lived here I hadn’t done until yesterday. We went to the smallest covered bridge in Georgia, which is in Sautee. We went to the coffee shop and reminisced with a fellow graduate of ASC. To sum up the day we ate at my favorite restaurant, Alice’s Restaurant. I went to meet with friends and talk about God while she settled Reagan in for the night. When I came back we had a super slumber party at my house. It was fun. This morning I was so not used to having a little one in the house. I was extra careful to be quiet and in the process of being quiet, forgot my coffee. Erg. Of all of the women who I came into contact with in college, I thought for sure she would be the one I would lose forever. I drank when she got married and I drank when she graduated, trying desperately to put that she was gone out of my mind. It was like if I drank enough it wouldn’t happen, she wouldn’t go away. Strangely, she didn’t but not because of my drinking. I think it is just a God thing. She is the one I have had the opportunity to stay in touch with the most. I would have thought it would have been Elise or Meg who would have stuck around, but neither of those women are present in my life anymore, which is sad, even though it seems to be the right thing. I just knew that because Vicki married a military man early on before we even graduated that she would disappear and she didn’t. She holds an ever present spot in my heart, in my mind and in my prayers. Somehow when I left her and Reagan this morning in the apartment, I drove through the Sautee valley with the Fish in the background playing some of my favorite Jars of Clay, and having a sense of peace, like everything was good and right like it was supposed to be. I am so grateful that she is a part of my life. I had no idea that one day we would each be sober, each of our own volition, but we are. It is unusual to see someone after such a long period of time. She is so grown up. So am I, I guess. She spoke of bringing her husband with her next time. He is in Bagdad right now, but will hopefully be home soon. It means that she will be coming back. Well, hopefully. That would be so cool. Then I would be like my parents who have friends who just show up out of nowhere and stay. Who would ever guess that I would be an adult? Adult enough to have an old friend stay at my house and go to dinner and have children? My goodness, I am not sure if I like this or not. I mean I like seeing Vicki, but I mean having friends who own houses and have children and husbands and go to church and do all those things that my parents have been doing all my life except now they are happening to me! Ah! Guess this means I really am an adult. Erg. I have fought this point in my life for my whole life, but I wouldn’t trade my half a day with Vicki yesterday for the world, it was so wonderful. I am glad she came for a visit.

No comments: