Wednesday, June 30, 2004

hold on to the thread
the currents will shift


So, yesterday was nice. Mostly it was boring. We have been in process to train a new marketing associate. He is a man. This is strange. He is the third male in the company. There are almost 75 of us total and he is only the third male. Mostly, this contradicts every place I have ever worked, however it is a nice change. Anyway, throw a man amidst a pack of women and poof: Chaos. It used to happen at Agnes Scott all the time. Inevitably, Friday afternoon, someone would scream,”Man on the hall!” and either one of two things would happen: doors would slam all the way down (knowing that it was whoever’s brother) or heads would peek out to see what was walking through. Like I said, chaos. You could tell long before the man walked onto the floor that he was there. It was weird. There is definitely that same air at work. That knowing. Needless to say, it made my job a bit on the long side yesterday. I was grateful for the plans I had made with my girlfriend. I stopped by the coffee shop to ease into the evening. It just takes the buzz right out of my work and allows me to cool off into a comfortable icy drink made special for me by Eric and Anna. After that, I could slip into my comfy clothes of the evening: workout pants, sports bra and a tank top matched up complete with sneakers. Ah, thank goodness for relaxation. I went to Cari’s house and exchanged pictures. She went to Nicaragua for a bit and had some tremendous pictures of people and life there outside of Managua. Oof, was that a bad place, beautiful, but sad. She snagged all kinds of duplicates of the Indigo Girls concert. Then we got into politics. It amazes me how little folks are informed. She was totally in the dark about elections and who was running, who she should vote for and on and on and on. So we talked until about time the sun went down. It was comfy being at her home. I had to go on because I needed groceries (coffee and milk, two essentials to the morning routine). I went down to Clarkesville to get them. It was out of the way, but the drive down 197 is just irresistible. Beauty at its best: there is something about the curves cut into the mountains main-framed by a river. It makes for a great drive. I took the short and sweet, straight and narrow back to the apartment. By the time I got home and curled into bed with lights out, I knew I had had a good day. I thanked God by saying my prayers and headed off into wonderland.

No comments: