Friday, May 28, 2004

Oh Sticklebats, where is that boy?


So as I made my trek to the folks' place in Sharpsburg, I noticed two very unusual things and had two life threatening events. First, I noticed my surroundings passing through Habersham County back into White County, returning to my apartment to collect, unfortunately due to my absentmindedness of leaving it behind, the TV I promised to bring to my Mom. I noticed old Fords with no power steering puttering in front of me from one farm to the next, realizing that they were carrying exhausted men covered in sweat, dirt and hay. It was hay day today and yesterday. The rolling pastures that I have been watching sway to and fro were curled up in large round bales awaiting pick up by monster tractors, to be housed within the confines of someone's barn for storage until the first blast of winter air, where in turn they will be feed for the animals on such farms. How beautiful they were out in the middle lined with precision and thick with moving creatures and life. The fields that were not curled, were square bailed and explained the men who will not sleep easily this evening due to blisters, sun burns, aching muscles and worst of worst: hay fever; in contrast to myself, who will sleep comfortably in my parents home on a queen size sleigh bed with air conditioning and luxuries galore (like McIntosh Singers in surround sound). Then, the first life threatening thing occured shortly after the observation: a stomper-billy dooley chevy truck tried to squash me because he couldn't see me. I was riding along in the lane next to him, increasing in speed and with my windows being down, I could feel the heat of his engine inside my car, which is when I noticed he had about three inches from being in my passenger seat. I had oncoming traffic in the other lane and rather than slam on breaks and spin, I did the opposite and laid into the gas and hung onto the steering wheel with one hand and the horn with the other. I scared the ba-geezus out of the man and saw him jump, meanwhile continuing to climb up hill at about 70 miles an hour only to find a red light quickly approaching. Luckily, I had enough time to appropriatly slow my car down from the leap to 70 miles an hour. That's one and one.

The second observation I had was while driving on 75/85 south still headed to the folks house. I am cruising along quickly and I notice a Saturn that looks familiar. It is a deep green and looks to be about a 96 model. The man driving the car is my brother...maybe. No way, I am calling Carter right now. Wait, Carter is loving Chicago. Glance....That is Carter. Ahhh.....no it's not. That's wierd. That's really weird. I actually was sorting through my cell phone looking for his name so as to call my brother, that's how freaked I was by this guy who was traveling in the second to right lane going about 70 miles an hour, nothing doing type look on his face, driving a deep green Saturn. I didn't think to look on the back for an Avondale Sticker or a torn John Kerry sticker. Man, it was a scary observation. I almost pulled off an exit so to catch my breath. Then, shortly after the second scary observation: everyone was stopped just after the grady curve. Ahhh...squeel....tires aren't turning and breaks aren't working....I skidded quite a bit prior to completely stopping a few inches from a car load of North Carolina women, I thought we were going twenty not zero! The women proceeded to drive like drunks for the rest of the time I was behind them and for some reason I couldn't seem to get around them until I got off on 85 South at the split.

I was so glad to get to Mama's. I was so tired of observing and being threatened. I don't think I will ever observe again while I am driving. It has been quite a day. The sounds in Fellowship of the Ring when Frodo starts out in the Shire to where he jumps onto the Ferry was about the music that should have been playing for my trek. There is so much relief in those black riders leaving the hobbits alone for two seconds. Dad's sound system makes it so intense. That is what I need for my emotions on days like today, surround sound, because that is how they felt today. Loud.

No comments: