Wednesday, April 13, 2005

So I haven't been saved. My girlfriends and I have come up with several things to respond with when asked though.

Q:"You really should come to our revival tonight. There is a wonderful speaker."
(Notice it is never really a question. It is a declarative sentence so as to minimize worming out.)

A: "Thanks but I have a church."

A1: "Thanks, but no thanks."

A2: "Thanks but I was saved three thousand years ago."

A3: "Thanks but I am a hippie."

These and many more are appropriate ways to say no thank you.

Response from the saving members:"Okay, well we'll see you at seven then! I am praying for you."

Rae's not so polite response: "Well perhaps I will have enough Christians praying for me that I will get in on that merit alone." The look on the saving member's face is one of "Oh, poor girl, she is going to hell...." I have low tolerance once I have used all of my polite responses.

So now that I am on my way to hell....My third party friend gave me great news last night. I call her a third party friend because she is more my girlfriend's friend or at least I have seen her that way for about the past six months. I have been getting to know this woman as a result of my associations with my girlfriend. I guess I would consider her a friend and after her statement last night I consider her a goddess. She looked at me and asked when my interview was and said "Rachel, the reason I ask is that Ruth (the boss of the position I am interviewing for) is a personal friend of mine and I wanted to make a phone call on your behalf. And, if someone more qualified than you or less qualified for you (laughter) gets the position, I was thinking of asking you to run my store that I am opening on the square in Clarkesville." (THAT IS NEXT DOOR TO MY APARTMENT!) Can you imagine? She thinks enough of me, as a third party gal to make a phone call for me to get me a job. And has a back up plan! I have always known that this woman was a prominent member of the community, but I have never know how much pull she has around here. Just the fact that she knows my potential employer well enough to make the phone call makes me realize the prowess that she carries herself with is real and "she gets it honestly" as they say. I don't know why she picked me to be nice to, but I am very grateful for her willingness. How much more can one person ask for? Now on my list of excitements are an interview and a phone call.

1 comment:

Oze said...

Hang in there, kid.

We all have our own paths to walk, and you seemed to have found a very nice one.

At the very least, it sure seems like the scenery is nice!