Friday, April 15, 2005

Fools rush in. . .

On my way to work today, I began thinking about the beautiful scenery I walked through yesterday. My girlfriend and I are walking on a daily basis and she lives on the prettiest road in Habersham county if you ask me. Her road is the road we treked yesterday and it was gorgeous. My gluts are killing me, but the scenery was beautiful. On her road there are several huge farms. One is a chicken farm. One is a cow farm. One is horses and pasture for no purpose. One is corn and I can't figure out what the other is growing yet. Anyway, one of the things that these outside people wanted to do was buy one of the farms, have it rezoned for residential and build forty houses. I can't imagine a cheap subdivsion amist all of that. The thing about our agrarian society that builders don't think about is that several times a year, I guess about once a season, it smells like country. I couldn't imagine tearing out one of those farms to put in forty plastic homes. Who would want to live next to a chicken farm? They smell awful. When I say awful, there are no seasons for that farm. That would have to be the farm they built on because otherwise it'd be awful. Anyone who doesn't know what the country smell like should take a ride around Habersham county. The other thing that bothers me is the size of the development. It would ruin the landscape and the whole purpose to the location. It would destroy the whole reason people live there or would want to live there. It is a beautiful foothill that peers right into the north Habersham mountains and into Rabun county and North Carolina. It is a gasping, gaping, gorgeous. . . why would we try to "improve" something when it is already perfect like it is?

No comments: