Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Oh A Great Debate...

If I could, I would get my comments to work. I am caught in the midst of an ethics debate and since I don't have anything else to talk about I am going to share this confusion with you (it is actually yesterday's dilemma and I have already made my decision, but I would like to get input from you!)

The Set up:
Game to lose weight; Eleven players giving $50 each; Outside source inspired by weight loss game donates $100; Winner is person who loses the highest percentage body weight; there is a scale master who is not in the game and who did not contribute money; one rule: no surgical procedures (ie gastric bypass or liposuction!); Time line is three months; First place = $500; Second place = $100; Third place = $50

The Dilemma:

One girl gets pregnant, another girl gets fired....girl who was fired from the workplace wants her money back...Should it be given to her?

The Solutions suggested: Third place winner loses out on prize money; Weigh the fired girl in anyway at a nuetral location because she is not allowed at work; Third place winner makes the decision; this is supposed to be a friendly competition and we should give the money back to her

Arguements:

A) It is a friendly competition and we are a family oriented environment, we should give the money back to both women who were incapable (pregnant & fired girl)

B) Gambling is gambling and if it were friendly competitiveness, money shouldn't have been involved...a bet is a bet

C) Weigh her....if she wins she gets the money if not, so be it: a bet is a bet

No comments: