Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I always tell the girls: Don’t take it seriously. If you don’t take it seriously, you can always have fun. And if you ever get lonely, you can just go to the record store and listen to your friends. --Penny Lane, Almost Famous

How true is this in life. I went to study on being a good groupie. . . ahem, band-aide, last night and in the midst of watching one of my all time favorite movies (Almost Famous), I realized there were pearls of wisdom. Penny is talking with William about never taking things seriously and I realize that she is not just talking about her relationship with Russell, rather it is applicable to my life. As long as I don't take people, things, places...well life so seriously, I will always have fun. I find that easier and easier today as I enjoy life more today than ever. I am more capable today as well. I find it easy to run around and find joy when I have people in my life like Megan and Tony and John. I was thinking yesterday about why I had such a good time on Saturday night. Mostly, it was that I called several people (Tony, Megan and John) and made plans, followed through with the plans with out too many expectations and found myself in a place of love and friendship. Generally speaking, when Meg and I do go out we have a good time and Tony and John love to hang around an poke fun at our silliness, but that could be at Waffle House. When we all got there (Tony and Meg both brought dates) it was like going to a dance in highschool (not that I have ever been to one even when I was in highschool!). We knew almost every person there because all of Sautee was there. The extras (folk from Athens) were so surprised at the amount of energy in the room. It was as though I had been invited to the party of the year and while I was not the most popular person in the room nor was I the least, I was one in a crowd of people with some close friends close by and many more on the fringes and a good time was had by all. It was funny to see so many of those folks the next day at the coffee shop. We all talked about how well the band performed and what they could do to improve. We talked about how crazy this person was or how many t-shirts were sold. We talked about how hard it was to park and how crazy a town Athens is on a Saturday night. The whole event was just about having fun and for a few short hours in my life, I didn't take myself or life so seriously. And if I ever get lonely, I can go to the record store and visit my friends.

No comments: