Tuesday, March 22, 2005

BOW FIRE!!!!!

Holy cow. I won orchestra seats to see this group of fiddlers from all over the world. They were from Canada, the United States, Yugoslavia, everywhere. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Had I known that I could do something like that with a violin, I may not have ever stopped playing. They had fiddling solos, duels, dances, love moments, tap dances...yes they tap danced with the fiddle in their hands. They didn't tap their foot while they played, they full out when bezerk tap danced. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen. All I could think the whole time was: don't drop the instrument. They switched instruments: violin to viola to cello to electric cello to erhu (it is a two string chinese played violin played from the hip) to bongos to mandolin to electric violin. Everytime you turned around they were burning through bows. They ripped them apart.

The whole row of people who sat with us were radio winners. The woman who first joined us was Mrs. Winship. She asked me if I played the violin and I said that I had played for 17 years. She asked when I started and I said three. She asked if my parents were musicians, I said that my father had a doctorate in choral conducting and was the director of a nationally renowned chorus in Fayette County and....

YOUR DAD IS DR. GREEN?

Yes, my dad is Dr. Green. Mrs. Winship's daughter said, "My sister is in his chorus. Mrs. Green came to my school to talk to us." So of all the people to bump into in Atlanta, I went to see fiddles with one of my Dad's parents. The guy who sat on the other side of us owns the only music store in Habersham County. He is an old school guitarist and won his tickets off of the Jazz Spot this past Friday night. Mrs. Winship and I both won ours on Soundscapes. She said they also announced our names on the radio. I never heard that, but I was running around the office going wild over the idea that I won something to something that I might really like. I really liked it. Three years from now, they won't be giving tickets away because no one will be able to get them. It was the riverdance of fiddles. Absolutely amazing.

I went to a rock concert of violins. Wow.

No comments: