Thursday, December 09, 2004

We were above
You standing underneath us
We were not yet lovers
Dragons were smoked
Bumblebees were stinging us I was soon to be crazy
Eat, drink and be merry
For tomorrow we die'
Cause we're tripping billies

Oh my feet...my aching back...my legs...can you tell who wore the wrong shoes to work last night? Yes, I wore my healed boots for some reason and today I feel as though my lower half is coming apart at the seams. I guess I can only learn from my own mistakes though right? So be it. We had a slow and surprising night last night at the restaurant last night. We were slow and had a 13 top that grew into a twenty top walk in on the spot, no reservations. Typically that would put us in a bind, but mostly it just made us look busy. The thing about the slow amount of people is that it gave the servers the ability to actually serve and they made good money as a result. The restaurant is the only local restaurant that has any amount of atmosphere so everyone goes there. Unfortunately, it is poorly run in the front so a lot of times the service is bad. Last night was just the right pace for good service. There is no such thing as good service on the weekends unless you are a server like me who won't take more than she can handle. Weekends crack me up. I still like it though: the drama (there is always drama), the chaos (food and running equal chaos), the constant surprise of something new (customers spice things up). I love running around and making a couple extra hundred a week. It is also fast, mindless work that pays a living wage. Did you know that most women would rather wait tables than join the "work force" because they 1) don't have to be educated to work and 2) make enough to match that of some executives? I am not that good, but I like it because of the people. Generally speaking, I don't like people, but it is easy to like people for half an hour, to an hour at a time. It is cool to see families come in and sing their blessing or a set of women come in and exchange gifts or have two couples come in and gossip and cut up late night with wine and dessert. Watching the interactions of others even if it is from a warped perspective is what makes me my life interesting. Hopefully, I am just as interesting to others.

No comments: