Friday, December 17, 2004

Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious....Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!Even though the sound of itIs something quite atrociousIf you say it loud enoughYou'll always sound precocious.....

This is what I thought of to say to the woman who looked at me with a mean spirit and harshness in her voice as she cursed me for not seating her immediately and without a reservation. I had gotten such a full house last night (I was the hostess) and was so short staffed, that I had to put people on a wait, including my reservations. I am grateful that I thought to say that to her instead of actually saying it to her, because then she would have realized how insane I really am and am not allowed to portray to the public as a servant. I was talking to two former waitresses about last evening's scenario and there is something that we all agreed on: everyone (no matter status or power) should work with the public in a retail and food service industry for at least a year. The woman who tossed her hair and flashed her rings at me last night (like that makes my servers and chefs serve or cook any faster) looked like what I would imagine a baroness would look like. She was stunning, tall, brunette with nicely done make-up and well decorated with high class clothing and accesories. She came complete with an accomodating male. He was tall, dark and handsome with salt and pepper hair. He bowed to her immediate frustration and swept her away to the restaurant across the street that screams class and ironically is run by meth heads. Somehow at the point that her frustration was worn out on me, I came to a complete meltdown on the inside. It is hard to lie and I became tired of doing so about four and a half years ago, so in the most polite ability I told her the truth. I was glad that she left when I was done. Typically, when a customer behaves in such a fashionable display it is good that they go because inevitably they are a hassle all evening and walk out with not only their satisfied misery but also a free meal. It is less costly when they are equally as truthful and run off to plague other environments. My sanity returned when the rush of people were full as ticks and charmingly exiting to their vehicles (people are always easier and more plesant when they are fed, like stray animals) and with it came a pleasant song that rang in my head and made me smile.

No comments: