Thursday, July 22, 2004

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina
Can't you see the sunshine
Can't you just feel the moonshine
Ain't it just like a friend of mine
To hit me from behind
Yes I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind
 
I want to go to Asheville.  I hope that my Uncle George finds a place soon so that I can go there; although, I might beat him there.  Then he could come and stay with me while he is house shopping.  Last night I tuned into an NPR station out of Charlotte—or maybe is was Charleston, just the same it made me think Carolina and to me there is only one Carolina and that’s North Carolina.  Mountains.  Originally I thought I had tuned into a bluegrass fiddler due to the sounds of complicated double-stops and the violin.  The more I listened the more I realized it wasn’t bluegrass, it was La Folia.  This is the piece of all pieces to me.  It is the piece I played for jury my senior year at Agnes Scott and to this day I am baffled by its variations.  I was listening and the more and more the violinist played the more and more I realized that I have never truly played that piece.  The rhythms were so different.  The pace was tremendous.  It was like a stampede in comparison to a walk.  There was an entire variation that I didn’t even recognize because it was so differently played.  The notes were precise and played with such authority.  I was totally amazed.  The announcer came on at the end to tell me about the piece and the artist.  The artist was Itzak Pearlman.  Nope, my bow stroke or intonation will never sound like that.  Ever.  It made me feel better though.  I mean here is a man who is the best in the world playing a piece that came out of my Suzuki, Level 6, Music Book and I played the same piece, even if it doesn’t even remotely compare.  I have got to get a recording of that so that I can let it echo through my Carolina Mountain Cabin.    

No comments: