Wednesday, July 07, 2004

And in your waiting hands
I will land
and roll out of my skin


Oh, I sure love days off, however, it sure makes my head miss the week. All of sudden it’s Wednesday and I have no idea how I got this far into the week. Yesterday, I tried to slow my week down, but it just didn’t happen. I ended up at a baby shower for a woman who I don’t really know. She works with me and while I don’t work in a tremendously sized company or anything, it is still one of those things that you don’t necessarily know someone when they work in another department. She is in the pharmacy warehouse and has been here since Christmas. She is really nice and seems friendly enough. I just think, well, it doesn’t matter what I think. I did the right thing and went to the party. I was miserably uncomfortable, but smiled and got myself a plate to eat, submitted a gift of diapers and a card, waited for an opportune time and jetted. The really bad part of the shower was not so much the shower its self as was the precursor of buying the diapers. The experience totally set me up for insecurity at the party. I went to Wal-Mart thinking: if I were a mom that’s where I would go to get baby stuff. So I walk in ask the front woman: Where are your diapers? She looked at me smirked and pointed me in the right direction. I then proceeded to the card section, picked out a congratulation-on-the-baby-boy card and headed to the register. I asked the woman at the counter if the diapers were a good purchase. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, “You don’t have any kids do you?”
“No,” I replied, she said in all earnest, “You aren’t from around here are you?” I just looked at her and politely said, “No, I am from Atlanta.” She LAUGHED at me. The Wal-Mart lady laughed at me for not having children and being from Atlanta. It made me want to go back to Atlanta so that I would be amongst those who actually graduated from high school along without having two kids by two men and went on to college. Maybe that is a harsh thing to want, but after being laughed at, I am still a bit spiteful. I am glad that I left the party when I did. It gave the gossips less to gossip about me. That was one of the other problems was that those involved were not people that I was attracted to in any form and try to stay away from due to extreme defects that have a tendency to be very ferocious when executed. I felt though that the party was good because I was polite and behaved well. I even helped make the punch and set the table. My Mom would be proud. Afterwards, I went and did my yoga and went to my girlfriend’s house in yet another attempt to watch Cold Mountain. I had yet to get all the way through my new DVD and still am left waiting. We didn’t finish it last night either. It was ten-fifteen, which is on the late side for a school night so the movie was turned off just as Inman was about to make it to Cold Mountain. I guess he will forever remain on the quest until he gets there. I was in bed by ten-forty-five and was grateful that I had a friend who respected me enough to not try to keep me up all night but rather let me sleep so I can better take care of myself. I can’t imagine what my behavior would have been like if I had been at that party yesterday and had no sleep. I’d have been a sassy little devil, I’m sure.

No comments: