Monday, February 09, 2004

Heaven bent to take my hand
And lead me through the fire
Be the long awaited answer


So it was probably one of the best nights of my life on Friday. I have never really “coupled” before, it was nice. I made a beautiful salad that was totally unplanned to be as spectacular looking as it came out. It was a baked chicken over a lovely bed of leafy green lettuce and romaine, complimented by apples, pears and grapes. The brownies, cookies and cake went over well for dessert too. I still have a lot of dessert though. I have a whole pan of brownies. Next time I will go even more simplistic on the dessert (like strawberry shortcakes). I got home about an hour or two before the guests arrived and cranked up some good old fashioned loud music off of the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack while I was cooking and touching up the apartment. I wasn’t sure what to do, but it turns out that I have a wide range of mixed match glass wear that make terrific votives! Atmosphere was so cool to add to the party. We took my brother’s advice (the Game Master scores!) and played Taboo! It was a scream. Cari and David won by three which was good. We played to 50 because other wise the game would end too quickly. We also had an awesome fire going in the wood-burning stove that was oh, so beautiful and was the icing on the cake. How much fun did we have? Bunches and bunches. My apartment is still in the super clean mode too! Woohoo!

Saturday, John and I went to see the two men who are our friends who were in the hospital. One was drastically different from the way I saw him prior. He was not really present emotionally or mentally. The nurse said that he had a long day physically. The other was standing with his arms wide open with a grin from ear to ear. Apparently, they are not allowed to stand on their own, but he was on his way to the bathroom and the nurse was propped in front of him ready to catch him if he fell, and I happened to walk in at the same time. He says that it takes him quite a walk to get over to the bathroom, but he is so glad that he can walk, he doesn’t care. It was a nice visit and I was glad that I went. I went back on Sunday because they both made requests for things. I am going again tonight, because they both need haircuts and my girlfriend the hairstylist asked that I go with her and show her the ropes. It does hurt my heart though to see these men in such altered states, but mostly I am grateful that they are alive.

The other cool thing I did on Sunday was hike Anna Ruby with an old friend. He and I go way back to Smoke Rise time and he means a lot to me. I am glad he found his way to these mountains and hopefully he will find his way to God. That is what he is here for. We talked for what felt like forever and are planning another hike to Duke’s Creek Falls next weekend, depending on his work schedule. It’s nice to see old friends, especially when there is a connection like the one we have.

Overall the weekend had a nice feel to it. I am very grateful that I will get to curl up on my own to a weirdo movie that I have rented tonight though. I sometimes get social-ed out and need to slow down and regroup. That might happen tonight. We shall see.

No comments: