Tuesday, December 02, 2003

This is a fine kettle of fish you have gotten yourself in this time

So I went yesterday to Walmart for a simple challenge. There was nothing special about the visit: no shopping. Absolutely no shopping. Usually, with this mind set I can go in and get out with out spending more than intended. Do you know how much a quilt hoop costs? 75 cents. So I reach into my purse to hunt for my dollar at the register while standing in line. I hunt. I hunt some more. No dollar. Debit card. Never used that at Walmart before, wonder if it works.....................

I spent $27 on a quilt hoop. Guess the debit card works. It turns out that our Walmart is going to be a super Walmart here soon. There is a whole grocery section now and it is half of what I would spend in the trendy grocery stores and I don't have to have a card to get the price on the shelf. HOW exciting. I felt like I was in the Richway next to my Grandmama and Papa's house in Decatur. There was everything. Somethings I couldn't reach. That was nerve racking. But it gave me the feel of being little again and going to the Richway. I ended up using a cart and everything. I couldn't believe it. I went in for 75 cents. The wacko thing is that if I write a check at Walmart, they won't take it because it is on their non-activated list, whatever that is, but they have no problem taking the card. Imagine that. Ugh. Walmart takes my debit card. Now my urges to go in there will triple. The nice thing about yesterday was that I had the Volvo touch and had the very closest spot in the parking lot. Now that, my friends, takes talent in this rural life. Although I am not sure how much longer Cornelia will be rural. The paper published the ground breaking for a Lowe's behind the old Habersham Bank. Now there will be a Lowe's light and a Walmart light. (This is like the Old Oak Tree directional guide: you go through the Walmart light, go on down past the Dairy Queen and make a left at the feed store and that will take you straight to the square......never mind the other stop lights or that the feed store is unmarked and if closed then you miss it altogether and end up in Mt. Airy. ) I think I am going to have to put myself on a twenty dollar restriction for Walmart now that it is so tantalizing. Oh my...............

No comments: