Wednesday, December 31, 2003

I don’t need diamond sun bursts or marble halls to make me happy…….

All I need is the evening after it rains. It’s as if God gives me my very own planetarium to watch. John has a sun roof on the Camry and on Tuesdays we drive down to Homer together to meet with friends. The drive is always a good one because it is a new highway and generally, there are no lights to speak of except a gas station. John cranks the music up and I just watch. It’s so clear outside that you can see each sister in the sisters fate. Venus shines through in all her glory on the horizon and the moon turns up the brilliance even though it is only at half moon. I could rest with my head on the seat turned up forever. It feels like for just an instant that the world is perfect. Then in the following morning, yet another natural phenom begins: morning frost. It touches everything. It is not the hoar’s frost that poses as snow, rather a true frost that silences the animals and all lay still. There is a peace that comes with it. When you step out the door in the morning, the sun is just barely reflecting onto the blueness of the sky. There is nothing about the morning that is pink or orange, no, it is white and clear with hints of light and shadows cast in hues of greys. The still is a mountain still that makes me realize, once again, why I live here. It was as though the world were still asleep at 7:15 A.M. The mountains surround me and when I was on my way back up here to these mountains after my Christmas stay in Atlanta, I felt peace with the first sight of the mountain skyline. This morning, that peace was perfect. I felt as though I were……… assured that everything was going to work out in life. I felt content and fulfilled. I really love living in these mountains. It is so beautiful full of gifts in each day.

No comments: