Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Oh no I see,
A spider web and it's me in the middle,
So I twist and turn,
Here I am in my little bubble


AHHHH!!! I don’t think I can do another report to save my life!! I really like my boss. She is a great person. When she asks me to do things, I do them with no remorse or dread. Part of my computer skill has given me the ability to do any report imaginable. She is thinking of every report imaginable. I didn’t think it was possible. I kid you not; I have been through two reams of paper today. At least she is nice about it. The thing is though that on top of the reports she is asking me to pull, I have my end of the month reports due too. It is the end of the month. Everywhere I turn there is another report to do. Mind you, this happens once a month and inevitably I am caught off guard. It is only my third month doing all these things. It is not nearly as difficult as last month. I do kind of feel caught though: caught in my own web.

I am slow. I ran for 25 minutes last night and only ran 1.6 miles. I got home about 5:30 and the sun beat me down. I ran as far as I felt comfortable with it getting darker by the second and when I was on my little gravel road, there was no sun. None. It was dark. It made me run a lot faster though. I wasn’t so concerned with someone getting me as I was something getting me (i.e. a bear or bobcat or wild pig, yes I said wild pig. Trust me you don’t want to run across a wild pig. They can’t see and they charge. They are terrible.). My legs feel like they are going to fall off today. I also did 150 crunches. Yeah, my abs are feeling it too. I didn’t ever feel any soreness from the gym, but being outside and going cross country, I am definitely sore. I wonder what the difference is.

Oh yeah, the Dr. Phil kid has been the talk with my friends. It’s a really bad, bad, bad representation of recovery of addiction. What’s worse, 50 days doesn’t mean squat. Depending on the DOC, it can take from 12 months to 5 years to detox. He is just barely coming down from the addiction. Goodness knows what will happen too if he swaps addictions to sex or food or people or nicotine. 50 days is not a good representation of recovery. Mostly, the only good representation is getting several addicts with similar DOC’s over an extended period of abstinence and treatment to see what is really life changing. See the difference between and addict at 30 days, 90 days, 9 months, 18 months, 5 years, 15 years and 20 years. Then you’ll get a really picture. At 50 days the kid is more apt to keep using than at any other time. It’s really easy not to use when you are locked up. Sorry, I am a little opinionated on this one. Most of us are laughing at the world.


No comments: