Thursday, September 09, 2004

Oh and she never gives out,
And she never gives in,
She just changes her mind…


Finally, my thank you notes are done and ready to be sent. I will pick out just the right stamps today at lunch and send them on their merry way. I love to get snail mail. I love to send snail mail. It takes a lot of work though. My mom tried to teach me how important it was to send notes for graduation gifts and such, and I think I even sent a few, but I never really got it. Why wouldn’t saying thank you in person or emailed be acceptable? What is the deal with a note? Why would I send a note? Who cares? After having someone in my life who is a regular snail mailer, I have found out the comfort of having something other than junk mail and bills in the box. It is amazing how opening the mail box becomes a treat when there is something little and special in it just for me. Then once I open the little and special, it has words of love and my insides recognize that that relationship is honored and cherished. That is why I have written thank you notes for my party. It takes effort to write twenty thank you notes and to remember if someone gave you something. I did the thank you notes for my Christmas gifts this past year too (or at least I put some effort in doing it, seems like I missed a couple being mailed due to address confusion). It just makes a difference, if not to the people who get them then to me. There is something that is enhanced within me when I send these cards. I am able to internalize my gratitude for the gift and the person. It makes me realize that these are the people who participate in my life and who support and love me. It continues and strengthens my relationship with them and makes me feel like a nice person. I didn’t used to feel like such a nice person, but through a simple little action like a thank you note, I feel differently. I am able to express my love and gratitude. That is important. Love, gratitude, faith, self esteem, being nice to others, strengthening quality relationships: these are all important. Now that I look at it: ‘who cares?’ I care.

No comments: