Monday, September 13, 2004

Dark and silent late last night, I think I might have heard the highway calling.
Geese in flight and dogs that bite.
And signs that might be omens say I’m going, going, going to Carolina in my mind.


Okay, so I went to West Virginia, not Carolina, but I passed through NC and that was the only song I could find. There was no “West VA” on my mind. Why I went, no one knows, I just needed some time off and a friend said lets go and it sounded good to me. It sure was beautiful. It was 65, 70 degrees the whole time. There was a nice breeze and no one anywhere. I got to read and walk and sleep and eat and no one could call or write or bother or go here and there or expect of me or ask of me to do…..anything. My friend and I went walking through the old town and saw a church with a bride and groom run out and jump into an old fashioned car and zoom off. We hung out in Molly the Mayor’s Victorian Shoppe on Main Street and gabbed with one of the local neighbors about her time back in town for a short while on furlough from college in front of the Post Office. We trotted around into the depot to look at the old train cars. It was lovely. It was really relaxing. We also saw fireworks from the overlook that was 3542 ft, which is really high to me, while pigging out on Dairy Queen. We also found the near by ski resort and are making plans to go to it when snow hits the ground in the end of November. I have never really skied before and don’t know if I will, but the thought was nice and the place seemed decent. We also trucked down to the very bottom and mouth of the Blue Stone River on a one lane road that originally followed the ridge of the mountain and traveled down to the river. Someone on the outside looking in might say that we got lost, but we got out of the maze by going right back out the way we came in so it was a nice adventure. We returned in the nick of time for Church Sunday evening and managed to squeeze in a Blimpie’s wrap for dinner while we were at it. It was a nice trip. I am glad I still have it in my mind because I have to be here at work until seven thirty tonight and that seems forever away. From there I go to meet with friends for an hour and won’t be home until about nine fifteen, just in time to do chores, read and sleep. Busy, busy little bee: that would be me.

No comments: