Tuesday, September 07, 2004

How sweet it is to be loved by you!

What a wonderful weekend!! I had my first ever house warming and it was a tremendous success. There are several successes that are associated with the warming. First and foremost, I have the cleanest apartment ever. Everything is put away and tucked into the right spot. The shoes are all lined up, the bed is made, and the hardwoods were swifted. It was awesome. I have never had a place so clean. While my place is small and it will have to be maintained on a regular basis. I recognize that the initial unpacking must occur in order to have a maintenance program in place. My house is super clean. Maintenance will be a breeze. That is all because of the house warming. Success!

Then on Sunday, the slicing and dicing began. I made Pam’s world famous apple dip, had a fruit bowl, had sliced apples, ham sandwiches, had cheese and crackers, pound cake. I had everything. I made sweet tea, kool-aid and coffee. I used my mom’s daily ware tea cups and saucers for the coffee and her creamer and it was so fancy! I felt just like Anne (except there was no drunk Diana)! I had munchie bowls that were chex mix and cheetos and pretzels. I felt like a cook in my own snazzy new kitchen. There are still pitchers in my fridge and clean dishes in my dish washer from all the fun. Success!

Then Megan showed. Oh thank heavens. I thought noon would never come. She began to set out her Mary Kay things everywhere. I stepped in and out of the shower and into my khaki Capri’s and hostess top, which was a lovely, blue, crushed velvet that was accented beautifully by the fall feeling weather. Then the people began to arrive!! Person after person and something I wasn’t expecting: Gift after GIFT!! Hurray for party gifts! I couldn’t believe it! My friend Cari said that we need a picture for every gift that was given to me because the reaction was as though each one was the first. I just love presents. I got two sets of lead crystal candle sticks. I got two lead crystal flower vases. I got the coolest two baskets ever. They were weaved out of metal and friendship beads! They are so cool. I got pretty little dishtowels and candy and lavender for my bath. I got another flower vase with silks in it. I got a really neat peppermill which is great because I don’t have pepper or salt! Folks came in two waves, which was good because everyone had a chance to talk and sit and move and talk and sit. The weather was perfect to sit out on the deck and on the white wicker furniture. The windows were open and I had Norah Jones and New Orleans Jazz in the background. Success!

Then the icing on the cake: my cousin Jenny showed. She came in the last of the second wave and stayed the night. She is my first overnight guest and used my handy new pullout bed. She says that it sleeps well. We gossiped, drank coffee and went to the movies. We slept in and stayed in pjs until ten the next day. Success!!

No comments: