Friday, September 19, 2003

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matthew 6:13-14

Is this what it means to take the path of spirituality instead of the path of normalcy. So I have been reading this book called Sermon on the Mount. I have decided it is a book of applied religion. Kind of like applied science, but with a different feel to it. It does things like, if you believe that, then try this! So since it is primarily based on the fifth chapter of Matthew, I decided that I should read the fifth chapter of Matthew and then I decided I should read the book of Matthew. So this is the passage that caught my attention. It reminds me of Robert Frost's "I took the road less traveled by," line. Finding life is what I am about because it doesn't seem much like life with out a spiritual component. I went to Walmart yesterday to pick up some basics. First things first, my Walmart is not like Carter's Walmart. Walmart is the only thing to do in Habersham County and because I live in the next county over, I have to plan a day for Walmart. Then, I have to mentally prepare for the fact that I am going to run into a gozillion people who I know on an general level and I have to pull my smile out of my back pocket with a mental note not to lose it while shopping in the pack. Other mental notes are: no eye contacts with the redneck men; watch out for little people running through the aisles; remember God is bigger than a country Walmart; stupidity is not the same as ignorance nor does it have anything to do with the worth of the person; keep the mouth shut at all times; opinions are like bellybuttons--everyone's got one and it is not necessary to show yours off. So I am breathing and thinking and praying as I prepare to step out of the parked car that has taken me ten minutes to park. I opened the door and out of nowhere..........a friend appears. Yea! Walmart just became an adventure instead of an ordeal! The words off of his lips are not hello, but "so, do you pray? and stuff?" I realized that this was a spiritual aid visit not just a friendly hello visit. So I shopped and talked about God with an aithiest who is afraid he may be wrong. Then we went to McDonald's for a really over caloric meal that I haven't had in forever and was craving and continued to talk about the different areas of life God helps out in--yes, I know He is there in all areas of my life, but it is hard to explain to an aithiest with no raising of any kind. Marilla would call him a heathen. I call him a lost kindred spirit. It is sad to think that not everyone has the opportunity to live the life I lead. Yesterday, while talking to my confused probably agnostic friend, I realized that I, I am taking the road least traveled by and this is making all the difference.

No comments: