Wednesday, September 24, 2003

"It's not personal it's business."
"Who made this up? I mean what ever it is, it should always begin with being personal. All that means is that it is not personal to you. It was personal to me."


So I read a lot of blogs and I watch a lot of movies and I have a lot of morals and guidelines that I live in my life. All of these collided yesterday. Impersonality seems to be a key in a lot of the blogs that I read, but on the flip side whether we like it or not our persona shines through. For example if bloggers only talk about the positives in life, maybe they are delusional or perhaps in denial and it's readable in their text (this is one of my better themes!). I don't exactly understand the rationale behind the premise that things should remain impersonal just because they are on the internet. To be very frank I think it is damn near impossible to be completely without subjectivity of some sort. If a blogger tells me anything about their day, it is personal. Anything. But isn't that the point of the blog anyway? I mean isn't the idea so that my parents in P'tree City can read and know more about me? Or my brother in Atlanta or my grandparents in Waycross? If it's not personal, what's the point? Why bother learning or reading or writing in the first place?

Okay enough with the soap box. I will say this last thing and be through with the whole thing: my father taught me a lot about intergrity, faith, discipline, courage and honesty a couple of weekends back. He taught me that it is not about other people, it is about me. It is about being right with me and my God and that is all that makes the difference. It is about the construction of the spirit. Because of that basic sense, blogs absolutely should be personal. Hopefully, through sharing my own experience, I can be of maximum service to God and my fellows and help another person..........all that from a blog. Who knows whose reading, but I hope that by getting to know me it increases the quality of their life.


No comments: