Monday, October 31, 2005

Thank you GOD!! What a helping of good things have I had lately?

I got an offer for a job that is one of those jobs that you are supposed to get right out of college. I had no problem being independent from my parents when I graduated from college, I just didn't have any idea on how to support myself. This was quite a process. There was the low self esteem, the severe character defects and being lost in my spritual journey that all have made things more interesting in my life. I did the best I could with what I had, which didn't include God, but was more about self will run riot. I have ended up in these mountains of northeast Georgia feeling my way around in the dark, although now I have God as a guide. I have been trying desperately to find some sort of path to follow. I have been placing one foot in front of another and when God says take a left, I take a left. When God says nope, take a right, I go right and if that doesn't work I retrace my steps and start over and try something different. I feel like a blind person and with less anger at God and less anger at myself. I try not to place expectations, not have fear about what I might lose, not have fear about what I want. I am not great at this and mostly the area of my life that I have found this most successful is in my friendships and in my employment. I still haven't master it in my intimate relationships, in my finances or in my time management or physical well being. All of these areas I try to pray for on a disciplined level every morning on my knees and every night before bed. The most I know is that it will happen when it is supposed to and not any earlier or later. One of the most interesting thing about God is that he is always punctual.

Being punctual, I have finally, 8 years after graduating, gotten one of those jobs just after graduation. It seems to have objectives which I can grow into and objectives I already for which I have some grasp. The position title is: "Better Homes & Town Manager." It comes with things like salary and benefits and vacation and state holidays. Who would ever guess that me, I , myself would, could ever possibly deserve, earn, be GRANTED such a thing as a job where on Thursday mornings I can go to a bible study or go home for more than two days for Christmas or not be afraid to buy a dvd? This is not something that I did, I get that. This is something, one of those things, God shots.

In other cool events this weekend, went to a law school prospectus student seminar. It was very informative and gave me ideas for parts of my application processes. They were key on several points: LSATs are averaged, not the highest score is taken, but the average; apply early; have your recommendations written by someone who knows you; apply early; make your personal statement, personal; apply early; do community service work and finally, apply early. The early bird gets the worm was what I gathered from the dean of admissions. We had a mock classroom with one of the professors and he thought I was weird. He posed this question: A client comes into your office with a smoking gun and tells you that he has just shot the store clerk down the road for giving him incorrect change? What do you do with him? with the gun?
My answer was take him to dinner, leave the gun in the office and have someone "discover" it like a secretary who would then turn the weapon over to police, but what ever you do DON"T TOUCH IT. I thought that was good, he thought I was nuts. What do you suggest. (Mom can't answer because I already told you the answer.) It was great fun and made me miss being in the classroom. I think I will fit in like one of those round pegs. There was a panel too of alumni and professor and a currently enrolled student. There were two things I gained from it, time management and knowing when enough is enough. About that time, I had been sitting/standing (I went out in the hall way because I couldn't sit anymore) for over three hours with no programmed break and when they called for the tours, I was outta there. I would have loved a tour of the facility, but I felt like I would much rather go see my Mom. So I did. I did the right thing because Kent and Carter came for a visit too and what more can a girl ask for in a weekend? Family, law school and a cool new job!

No comments: