Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The movies that I have been watching lately crack me up. I use an online movie vendor so I don't always know what I am going to get because I stack up an order of about twenty or thrity movies and then wait a while. I forget what I have ordered which is great because it is like a weekly surprise. This week was more than a surprise. I just finished the Indiana Jones series so I recognized that I was on a binge for older but not old movies, just things from when I was growing up.

This week I got Blade Runner, Die Hard and Mad Max. Seeing that I just finished watching Harrison, I decided to watch Mel and Bruce first. Mel is a great actor, I don't know that anyone can contest that. In the movie they show him in all sorts of shots that express a variety of emotions. He well out acted the others in the film, not that that was hard. Some of the people, I could have out acted. That being said: that was one of the worst films I have ever seen. I recognize that it is how Mel got started, but it was just down right bad. For some reason I thought that Tina Turner was in that movie, but it must be the sequel. Also, Mel has gotten handsome in his old age. He is such a hottie even to this day, but as a young man...wow.

I watched Bruce's flick next. Now I have seen Die Hard once in a frat house with my boyfriend Jason on a Saturday afternoon, but I can't say that I remember seeing all of it and the ending was new for me. Die Hard is a great movie. It has all the elements of a great movie: great good guy (NYPD's finest), great bad guy (terrorist turned theif, Professor Snape aka Alan Rickman), beautiful girl (corporate ladder climber with good looks), great explosions (the helicopter was awesome) and most of all great catch phrases (none of which I could ever say on tv, but just the same, they will always be remembered). I had no idea how much fun it would be to watch this movie, but it was fun. If I ever get back to having some money again, I am adding this one to the collection. Blade Runner is on the docket for this evening while I prepare sales taxes for a friend's store and clean up for my Mama, who is coming to see me tomorrow and who should bring a sweater for the evenings because it is getting into the low forties at night up here. Juanita, a friend, said that her thermometer read 42 Monday night. The bank signs say 49 so it is still really cool. Back to Harrison. I wonder what I was thinking when I checked these off on the website? How did I get these three movies? They are similar in genre, but not really. My understanding of Blade Runner is that it is the science fiction of the science fiction. I saw it edited for tv once, so I wonder what it is going to really be like. That is probably why I ordered it: to see what it is really like without commercials and blurb overs. Popcorn all night for me!

No comments: