Tuesday, October 18, 2005

There is a cd in this place where I work today. It is a piano cd. It is recorded in this pianist's living room thus the name: the Living Room Sessions. Chris Rice is the name of the pianist. He is really good. All of the pieces of music are songs I have grown up with: For the Beauty of the Earth, This is My Father's World, How Great Thou Art, Fairest Lord Jesus. It makes me want to go home. It makes me want to go home to the church that I remember. I don't know that my perspective of the church I grew up in is true, but it is what I remember. Lots of music, of course. It was my second home because of the amount of time I spent there. There were roller skates. There were carpeted rows to run down in between the pews which had linoleum under them and if you got on your belly you could slide underneath them which made for great chases. Homework in strange places like the music library, the sanctuary, the room next to the the fuse ball room. Always, always there was a rehearsal. Sometimes it was Mrs. Scott practicing the organ and Lea Anne and I miandering around aimlessly. Sitting and listening to the Messiah rehearsal and knowing my part by the time I was sixteen. It was a place that I could always go to like family and never be . . . I don't know. It was a home that I grew up in that's all.

No comments: