Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I didn't go into much detail yesterday on Hillary because I didn't really know what to say, but after talking about my experience a couple of times to folks who were excited for me that I got to go, I think that I know what I want to say.

First I should say that Senator Clinton is an excellent speaker. Whoever writes her speeches does and excellent job and her delivery was great. She spoke in terms of being a member of an all women's college. She graduated from Wellesley College and was able to convey well wishes appropriately to the graduates. She encouraged women to continue their education and spoke of a bill that granted federal assistance for day care for non-traditional women students, which she worked on and was passed. She encouraged the women to be teachers each in their own way. She encouraged mentoring (which btw I think I might sign up to be for the next school year at the High School). One of the last things she asked was for gratitude for the journey of life and that it was a beginning to the "adult world" where not everyone acts like an adult. Then she posed a question along the lines of did you ever think that you'd be here in your life? All I could think is no. I had no idea that I would be invited back onto that campus. I caused so much drama and was so disgraceful at times while in school. I did go to class and take my tests, but I never thought that I would make anything of myself. While many people believe that a college degree is something of substance, I thought that it was just the next thing to do. As a senior in high school it never occured to me that some people don't make it through college...or to college. Why wouldn't they? I did only what I had to, to get through school. If I had put some effort into it, I would be elsewhere. I had no idea until standing there listening to Senator Clinton that I am a part of a larger, greater purpose. I am the product of the second women's revolution. In this graduating class in the United States, there were 200,000 more undergraduate degrees given to women than men (See Morning Edition on NPR). I am the product of an outstanding & prestigious women's institution that produces well rounded, critically thinking women. I am one of many women who impacts the world positively everyday. It almost made me cry to know that I was able to stand and listen to someone who fought to pave the way for me. (Okay, so I did cry: out of gratitude for the experience). Strangely, Senator Clinton didn't say anything about all that political (or at least that I could tell; the conservatives might have been cringing every ten seconds). She only spoke for about twenty minutes and sat down. It is not something that I will forget. She was so elegant and intelligent and wonderful. I am so grateful that I was invited.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great experience, very cool that you got to go.