Thursday, August 19, 2004

I find sometimes it's easyto be myself
Sometimes I find it's betterto be somebody else
So much to say
Open up my head and let me out


I don’t understand how it is that men and women are supposed to be mates with the differences in communication. I speak an entirely different way in contrast to men. Last night I was talking with one of my male friends who I attend church with on Sunday mornings. I was telling him my theory on relationships and how they progress according to where one is in their home. Now, the last phrase doesn’t make any sense unless you know the “porch friends theory,” but that is another blog entry. My point being that I was gabbing on about how I perceive and behave. He is trying to communicate back and begins to give me advice. It occurs to me that he is doing the same thing that my friend Peter does. John did this too when we first met and then figured out how to listen without hearing anything (this is a trait that men develop in long tem relationships apparently). Peter, David and John (well used to John), they try to fix me as though I am some sort of problem. Now, the men who I communicate who are a wee bit more…..I guess informed, is the correct word. They just let me go and talk and talk and talk. I am not looking to be fixed. I am just looking to tell stories and get a reaction or get common feed back (i.e. “Oh! I have done that and this was my experience!” or “Oh my! I am so sorry that happened to you” or “Oh isn’t that just grand!”). Women and informed men get this. They get that I am not a problem nor am I asking for help. There are times where I have to stop Peter and say, “I don’t want help” or “I am not asking for your opinion or advice, I am telling you how it is and nothing more.” Peter sometimes gets it, but when he is not paying attention, he babbles out a solution that has no problem. My Dad also does this. He tells me how to fix things that aren’t broken. Dad has gotten better in his age. More mellow. I think he is beginning to fall into the informed category. There are men in my life who just let me talk (and I like to talk….about nothing, just talk), that is why they are still apart of my life. Women, just swap stories. Men fix things. I think this is why men are so activity oriented, much like their communication: it gives them something to do.

No comments: