Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Satellite, headlines read
Someone's secrets you've seen
Eyes and ears have been

Normally I would try to explain myself, but I am not going to today. I have taken up a new job (on top of my old one) of waiting tables at the Italian restaurant (yes, there is only one in three counties) that just happens to be across the street from my apartment. It is a lovely establishment. It has a tuscan feel to it through both the ambience of place and the food. The owners are unfortunately unsurprising. It is a husband/wife team and he is the chef and she cooks the books. Neither of them have waited before and it is evident through the way the floor plan is laid out. It is hard work waiting tables. My feet hurt and I am tired. My hand strength is not up to par so I can't carry nearly as much as three years ago when I worked at the Grill. I have already plastered a spinach dip on the back wall near the bread station (first shift too!) and have forgotten to put a table's order. Even though all of this is typical and nothing new about the job, the thing that I like, the thing that I really like the most is that waiting tables is it is comfortable. I fit into it like a hand in glove. The owners love me and think that I am the best waitress they have ever seen. I don't walk into the kitchen or out of the kitchen without something in my hands. I am forever clearing and serving, as the job constitutes. I cut bread to prep for a rush. I help other servers and the kitchen. Best of all, I don't have to think. The owner barks just like every other owner I know. His wife fusses just like every partner I have ever known. They both magically jump ship and disappear at critical times. There is nothing to expect, there is nothing to not expect. The money is not as good as what I made in Atlanta, but I have not had nearly as many tables in one night as I have had in Atlanta. I am so far making about fifty bucks a night, which is about ten dollars a table. That means overall I am making about fourteen to fifteen an hour, depending on how long I stay and help close up. The life is consistent and unharmed. It is as though, even though it is in a different restaurant, nothing has changed. It is a constant chaos that I have lived in for so long. It feels like home.

No comments: