Friday, November 10, 2006

Nothing's quite so clear now
Do things, fight things,
Feel you've lost your way?


I feel like I have had the rug yanked out from underneath me. Two Friday's ago everyone who is close to me was at my side treating me like a princess. That is a PRINCESS. As in no matter what I said I was right. I had seven ladies in waiting and a queen mother hovering making sure I was getting my way. I wasn't marrying a prince, rather a prince mixed with a knight in shining armor. I couldn't believe it. It was amazing. Everyone was there.

Earlier last month I bough tickets for a production of Into the Woods. I mean what better tickets can you get? It is the best of the best productions. I wasn't sure how best of the best the acting would be, but I was willing to find out. John was working so I asked out girlfriend set #1 and once it was time to go to he musical, they back out. Ask back up girlfriend and daughter, they decide to go to Family night...erg. Call every girlfriend in the phone that lives in the tri-county area. Nothing. Call my brother! Ah, He'll go with me. It is too late for him to be able to get there and be on time. Who would know? No one will go. This happened once before with a ticket to see BBKing at Chastain. No one will go. I have to go alone.

I am alone.

Why does this bother me so much? I used to go to the movies by myself. I used to eat dinner by myself. Why am I so worked up over a couple of folks saying no thank you? They are not rejecting me. They aren't taking their love away from me. They aren't breaking up with me. They are just saying, sorry Charlie, I am not available. Erg.

Two weeks ago they were ladies in waiting. This week they have their own lives. What the hell happened? I still have a tiara!

So I go alone. I am alone.

You decide, but
You are not alone.
Believe me,
No one is alone.


I gave my two tickets that I already paid for to the box office to see if they can sell them. They can't. A refund requires too much paper work which is why all sales are final. So I give her the tickets anyway and tell her to give them to someone who could use them since I have to pay for them no matter what.

I go in and sit down. I read through the playbill. Hmm... broadway experience, hmm...teaches drama at the college level...sounds good. The director gets up at the beginning to raise more money. And then introduces the musical conductor in the pit and ....ONE-ce upon a time, I wish...There is my friend. He is on stage. He is Jack, the dreamer, pouring over milky white. He was in Godspell with me and is a total dreamboat of a kid. He is also a tremendous performer. Ahh...I am comfortable. This is pretty good...AGONY!!How it cuts like a knife!!!! Yeah those guys were BROADWAY WORTHY, they were so good. They stole the show from the Broadway veteran who was the witch. She was good too. Really good. The baker just didn't cut it with the rest of the cast. He had the super lead and dropped it in his singing. His voice didn't have the power and unbalanced the whole cast. Every other performer matched up with him was a stronger voice except the narrator/mysterious man/his dad who was worse at singing than him. He never sang out of tune, he just couldn't do the big voice like the rest of them. I was worried about Will playing Jack because there are some big voice parts in Giants in the sky, but he has been coached and instead of pushing the notes and making the slide of key, he was actually singing them and brought the volume with them naturally. I was very impressed with his growth. The baker's wife, cinderella, red riding hood and the witch all had GREAT voices, however Repunzel was the best. She sounded like one of Dad's girls. Unfortunately, she was not as stong an actress as the rest, thus her placement in the cast. The effects were well done, the set was beautiful and well thought out. It was a really good production for $22. Well, I paid for $63 but everyone else paid $22. The seats got used though by Cinderella's Phi Mu Sorority Sisters who felt like oh my gosh, so lucky, huh? They were nice. I am glad they got to see their sorority sister knock my socks off. They probably don't realize that she could, with more experience (she is a sophomore in college) a little more training go on to the Atlanta productions at the Fox and at the Alliance Theatre. Although, it wouldn't surprise me one bit for her to get in like she is. She was pretty good. You know. I am not so alone anymore. I am also not such a princess anymore. Sometimes I think that God just lets me know that I have to get back to being right sized again. I am not a princess. I am not a loner without friends. I am just me. And I like just me. A lot. I love going to good productions of art. Into the Woods was done very very very well.

Witches can't be right, giants might be good
Just remember
Someone is on your side

No comments: