Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I have never had a job where it has been great to be fired from it. This last one, I was fired and hired all in an hour. Granted the job that I was hired at was hourly and had nothing to do with the last one which typically is the case for me, it never occured to me that the job I was fired from was not a job, rather a career. You know, like when you had career day in seventh grade and a fireman came to speak to your class or a doctor or a lawyer? A Career. My parents have careers. My Dad has actually had two careers, one of which he is so successful at that he will actually leave the world a better place than when he found it as a result. Mom has been a teacher for-EVER. I am not sure if that is what she wanted to be when a career day person skipped out on presentation time so her teacher just stood up and gave a speech in their stead and Mom said, hmm, I think I will be a teacher, but that is what she is. She is great at it too. I do believe that Sarah has always wanted to be an astrounaut and Carter has always wanted to be rich. Me, I have never known what I wanted to be when I grew up. I remember in sixth grade wanting to be a lawyer because someone told me that I argue with people so much that is what I would be good at and when I found out how much they made, I said yeah, that is all me. But really I thought I was going to be dead by 21. It never occured to me that I would have to DO something. Turns out in my life there are a few things I am good at: talking, loving and driving (just kidding about the driving!). Anyway, the last job I had wasn't a job. It was what I wanted to be when I grew up. The concept of promotion, design, economic development and organization to revitalize historic downtowns is awesome. Working with people all day to make their community a better place to be just rocks. It is as though I might be able to leave a place better than when I found it. I hated that I was fired, but I was defeated in all corners to help a downtown that wasn't to be helped and as a result I was miserable. MISERABLE. I had been beated and broken by other people's greed, politics and selfishness. There was nothing that I could do to make that place a better place, maybe someone can, but it wasn't me. So they let me go and I had benn praying for that for a while. But who would know that other people would want me after being fired? Doesn't being fired mean FAILing a something? Doesn't being let go mean scat cat? Doesn't being fired mean I am terrible at my job? Is that what America is saying to Don Rumsfeld? You stink at your job now leave? Apparently not. At least not in the work of politics.

I went to a class today because it was the last class in my training. The woman in charge was upset that I had missed the last class and upon calling my previous employer found a dead end. She found out that her counter part in another region of the state was my oldest and dearest girlfriend's dad. He got my personal cell number from my girlfriend and gave it to this lady, thusly calling me. This lady who is a state employed person and works with lots of me's took the time to call and convince me to finish the class. She aslo gave me contacts in the county which I live and the next county over. She said that now that I have the experience, I can work anywhere. There is a city about twenty minutes from me: "over the mountain." It needs a director. She thinks that I would be perfect for the position. It is in the most beautiful city in the state. I stoped by to see my old state supervisor and asked for a reference and he said without hesitation, of course. He thinks that the political climate in that city would be better for me and a result would be a less stressful position.

He said without hesitation, of course.

Someimes I think that when Michelle tells me that God is my new Employer I think that she is crazy. The Serenity Prayer states, God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. God knows that I could not change the last city. I can change my attitude towards the possibility of a new job being now instead of after the New Year. I can help these citizens to have the courage to change their city. I can have the courage to submit my resume and know that it might be rejected. Wisdom...wisdom comes with the knowledge that even if I get fired from another job in another city or decide to change my career (because obviously that is what this is) or if I decide to be poor and live on a park bench, God is my new Employer and that has made all the difference.

No comments: