Friday, August 04, 2006

Ring my beeeeeeellllll
Ring my bell...


I love cell phones. The standard phone bills don't give you what a cell phone bill does. In my standard bill it says that I owe the company for $35 a month plus long distance. That is ridiculous. Cell phone bills tell me an inventory of my life over the past month. My cell phone used minutes this month were 1814. What does that mean? It means I TALK ON THE PHONE A LOT. Not that I needed a cell phone bill to tell me that. I remember three things about my thirteenth birthday: 1) I got my ears pierced. 2) I was allowed to wear make-up. 3) I got a telephone in my room. I also remember having cake at Granddaddy's house in Bent Tree and going to the pool with my cousins. I can remember when I got my phone in my room as a teenager, I loved it. I used to stay up until four in the morning talking to my best friend Marlon. He and I couldn't talk enough. Mom would come in and catch me and ope! I had to go. She would be so mad. These days, I am not up until four in the morning, and generally if I am on the phone at that time, something is really wrong. But I make up for lost time when I am awake.

I like to check my minutes on my bill to see who it is that wins the contest of the most minutes used in one sitting. This month, not surprising and the leader most months, at 91 minutes straight....Michelle. I talk to her more than any other human on earth. However, in a surprise second for a once a year phone call at 73 minutes, Aunt Bonnie called from South Carolina. Birthday! Hurrah! Tagging along in third place which is usual because she talks to me on the phone every day, on email sometimes twice a day and normally she puts in at least one good long phone call, but hasn't placed in several months because she doesn't like to talk on the phone for long periods of time....Mom with 44 minutes. So what does all this information tell me? My Mom loves me. Thank goodness. My Aunt is a real talker and I should only afford one of her calls a year! It also tells me that I turned 30 this month. AND it tells me, I had a total and complete mental break down. Thusly, the call with Michelle. She is my spiritual guru. In just an hour and a half she can save my relationship with a best friend, help me keep my job, and convince me that life is worth living. Amazing. That's worth 91 minutes.

Oh! There's my phone now.

No comments: