Thursday, January 26, 2006

$50,000: 10 Days

Standings: Day 9

53 Solicitations
and a newspaper ad
and a mass mailer
and an article in the paper
and an article on the radio


$11,140.00 "In Kind"

$25,150.00 Monetary

Lotsa let you knows. . .

A GALA SPONSOR!!! This morning I had a third meeting with a bank. They gave me explicit understanding that they had already given to the city and that I was tapping a well that might be dry. I said that I understood. I stood in a board meeting room this morning in front of people who "put their pants on just like you do" however, they are REALLY expensive pants, and was shaking I was so nervous. I presented for them how they could participate the areas of need. I answered their questions and smiled and said "I don't know" when I didn't know. Then they said, "Please wait outside." So I waited outside. . .

I waited outside.
I waited.
I found a nifty idea for a Christmas gift for my Dad and my Brother.
I waited.
I read the plaques on the wall.
I waited.
What a beautiful picture of Pebble Beach.
I waited.
Read Georgia Trend December 2005.
I waited.
I called a co-worker who was supposed to use the projector next.
I left a message.
I waited.

"Rachel, would you like to talk while you shut down your computers? Listen, we think that we are going to be your Gala sponsor. (I start to cry.) We own several companies and through their support, we will be able to give you $$ $and a vehicle that will sell icecream at your events that the proceeds will go back into your fund. We also have a printing company that will meet most of your printing needs. And then we are going to create a core of volunteers for you to draw from for all that you do. (More crying.) Are you okay?"

"Yes sir. You said the well was dry. I was aiming for a grand. You overwhelm me."

"Well, you had a very good presentation and we feel that this is our hometown too."

I am crying right now in case you are curious. Sometimes I set out do to things and I never make it. I try all I can and I just can't make it. I tried and tried to stop drinking and I couldn't. I tried and tried to stop smoking and I couldn't. I have tried and tried to gain self-esteem and have been unable. Michelle says, trust God, clean house and help others. So I trust God, clean my house and do my best at helping others. Then things start to happen: I don't drink. I don't smoke. I do esteemable acts. Then things happen like I became employable. Who would think that I would get a job that I like though? Then I get a job I like. I could really easily tank and lose this job. No chance. I am really good at this job that I had nothing to do with whatsoever getting. Someone came along and said, your a nice gal, you can do this job. It is my old job. Have it. I think I just might make my goal. I have another appointment, gotta go. Gotta stop crying too.

No comments: