Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I feel like I am always writing about the past, what I did yesterday. Today I am going to talk about what I did today:

Today for whatever reason, I got paid to babysit Iris, but didn't babysit Iris. Her Dad paid me and then he took her for the night. So I decided to go hunting for a calligraphy pen. There is no such thing in these mountains. I am going to suggest it as something to carry in Manna, since she is going to carry invitations. Anyway, normal wally worlds like ours doesn't even claim to know how to spell calligraphy so I had to search hard and long. This is difficult because I could go to Gainesville...boring, blah, rundown version of Habersham, but it has a mall and a big hospital or I could go to...yes, Super Wally World. Super Wally World has everything. It is in Clayton. Clayton has the best of everything. I don't know why, probably starts with the fact that they have all the money too. Lake Burton is up there with million dollar homes and such. Needless to say they have the Super Wally World, the Home Depot and last but not least, they got the Chick-fil-A. Sad. We were supposed to get the Chick-fil-A. Sad. Since I am staying here in the boonies, Clayton was a lot closer than supposed and since I no longer was sitting Iris, I had time for the drive. It is about a thirty minute, maybe forty minute drive to Clayton from Demorest (that is where Iris lives), but it was only about fifteen to the house I am dog sitting.

The best part about going to Clayton is the drive. Right now they are in the midst of progress. There are orange and white barrels from the Tullulah Gorge up to the town square. They are making it five lane all the way to North Carolina. Still, there was no way even with all the machinery scraping away the land, there was no way to take away the power in the scenery up there. I have an idea of what it will be once they are done changing. It will be just as breathtaking as it was today with all the processing. There is nothing anyone can do to take away that beauty. Sometimes I think about why I stay up here. I don't understand how it is that I don't go one more county north. Actually, what I really like is North Carolina. But you can see North Carolina from there. It is like the curve in 85 north coming from my parents house at night: all the sudden, there it is the city of Atlanta, lighting up the night sky with its beautiful architecture. There is something that happens in your insides. It makes your breath stop, heart jump and gasp. That is the way the mountain pass to Clayton is. You come around a corner and ahhhaup: there it is, those beautiful mountains, God's architecture. It is so amazing. I don't know why I haven't gone just a little farther north. I might, one of these days. Maybe I will be a North Carolina lawyer instead of a Georgia lawyer. Go live in the beauty of the mountains.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love that bend in 85, coming from the airport. And I love North Carolina!