Thursday, June 09, 2005

I don't understand why I can't study when I have a job, I just can't. What is strangely interesting is that I have studied everyday this week. I have one of the Kaplan LSAT books and am in it everyday. When I need breaks, I watch the West Wing and it reminds me of what I am doing. Not to mention WW is very inspirational too. I also listen to NPR until they start the talk shows, which while I enjoy the talk shows I can't concentrate so I have to switch to John Williams which, please the only two composers more inspiring are Aaron Copeland and Ludwig Van Beetoven. There is something awesome that occurs when the studying and the music come together. It reminds me of the commercial on TV about "ING" with the woman asking what is that and the guy explains ING and she is still looking confused. Then she says what is THAT? And he says, "Oh he has his own theme music." I am getting in about four hours to six hours a day in studying. Turns out it is paying off. I am in the logical reasoning sections and there is not much about my thinking that is logical or creates any type of reasoning, however, the study tests have gone from me making 20% correct to 90% correct. This is important because the LSAT only counts right answers. There are no points for incorrect answers. This means that I have to answer every question, no exceptions (like no exception for the fact that I haven't read the question!). My speed is WAY to slow, but accuracy is more important to start. It was hard to train my thinking to think the way they ask the questions. Mostly it is an algebraic equation is what I have come to find. This makes things much simpler because I can do algebra in my sleep. Sleep. Can't do geometry worth a flip. Have a feeling geometry might be next in the logic games section. The test is set up in five parts: two logical reasons, one logic games, one writing sample and one experimental. Turns out that I have 21 weeks of unemployment monies, which is roughly four and a half months. That puts me at August/September to take the test. I think I will take it three times: July, August and September. The books says October is best so I might take it then too. Who knows. I have not been the best test taker in the past, but then again I have never studied either for a test, well maybe in college, but not a standardized test. It was suggested that I take a Kaplan course too so I will be looking into that before too long. Wow. This is really happening. It is nice because who would ever guess that I would be the one going back to school? I mean my Dad and Carter are the brains in the family. I could see Dad going back for fun he likes it so much. But I honestly thought Carter would go back before I ever did. Of course I didn't think I would live to be this old either so that might have had something to do with my vision. I will be old soon...at least my cousing Rob is already old. Haha. Benefits to being the second born. Well, off I go back to the world of extracting assumptions, arguemental methods and parallel reasoning. Boy, just studying the silly book makes me sound smarter! I love it!

2 comments:

Dr. G. said...

You are smart! Don't sell the girls in the family short:)

Love you,
Mom

Sarah said...

Carter? Brains? Smart? Hahahahahaha. ;)