Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Guys, we haven't slept in three years. Don't you think we could take a break for one night and enjoy each other?

Oh yeah, it's Christmas!

It's Christmas?

Yeah, didn't you get the memo?


Something I don't think that people who live in a two million person city (or five million, whatever) realize is that I am not used to being surrounded with a whole lot of people because I am here in the middle of the mountains. Generally speaking, that is one of the main reasons I live here: peace and quiet. There are only a few things up here that attract a few hundred people at one locale: a) the Habersham County revival at the highschool (or White County and it is at the stadiums in the highschools because these are the only facilities large enough to sustain a crowd that size) or b) Walmart. Now, I am not a very big Walmart fan unless it is two o'clock in the morning when no one is there. See, Walmart is dangerous in the mass confusion of a) bunch of people who don't typically have any driving experience with traffic b) consumption overdrives c) basic turmoil of any situation when combined with children under the age of five and seeing as White County has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state, you can imagine the amount of children with children this incurs. Now, I was sent on a mission yesterday to Walmart. It was the middle of the day for work and I figure it probably wouldn't be that bad--nothing can be as bad as Saturdays. Well, wrong again. The place was packed. I am not sure exactly what was happening, but there were a gozillion people there. It wasn't pay day, it was Monday at almost two o'clock in the afternoon. I was looking for those ever so delightful stackable crates. Something of note as well is that the Walmart that is available to me is slowly being processed into a super Walmart and this means that things are pretty topsy turvy on the inside. Once I found the container section, which had been moved, I went on the hunt. After wandering around for ten minutes, I finally found a wonderful Walmart person who informed me (I will give Walmart this: their personnel is awesome. They are always kind and smiling.) that they don't carry the stackable crates except during the back to school season and this was the Christmas season..................WHAT? I thought that I was supposed to be prepping for Thanksgiving not Christmas! All the sudden I looked around and the Walmart smelled of cinnimon and pine and there were wreaths and red candles out and about. There were tunes on their instore TVs that were jingling. I couldn't believe it! Santa didn't even make it down to the Macy's star yet and Christmas was already in Walmart! Now, don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. It is my favorite time of the year because of the music and family, food and fun! All I want to know is............................why didn't someone send me a memo?

No comments: