Friday, October 24, 2003

Cause I'm bigger than my body gives me credit for

So I am doing the aerobic classes at the gym now as opposed to dilly dallying on the machines and making things up as I go along. They were mostly step classes until this week. We began do something called Pilotti's. Apparrently this is a really old work out design from the sixties or something (this is how the woman who is teaching the class explained). When I asked about it to the guy behind the counter as to what it was, he said that it was a selling point to women and that's all he knew. So women all over the gym, which he is right even though he doesn't know why or what, are gaga for Pilotti's Workouts. Mostly, it is nothing more than a cross between atheletics and dance in a very ingenious way. Primarily it concentrates on the area between your "gluts" and "inner thighs" and your "upper abs." The teacher called this the powerhouse. This is the same area that a ballet dancer concentrates on to do some of the things they do such as stand on their toes and not fall over. But then, the different movements that the teacher has us doing seem very...........simple, until you wake up the next day. Apparently, the movements work the body(which I have come to find true for me), but they are not complicated and don't create too great of an amount of pain when in mid action. The only thing I don't really care for is the lack of information on these practices. See, there is no real way to know if you are doing it correctly or not. No one seems to be an officianado on them. At least with ballet or any other dance, it was very apparent who is and who is not. Then there are the aerobics people--they are very distinct. What I find very entertaining is that I have some instructors who.....well let's just say I don't want their body. It is very apparent to me they are not officianados. Then there are the ones who do. My ear wants to listen to those who look the way they talk. The other thing that is most interesting to the Pilotti's technique is that it feels vaguely like the Martha Graham technique or Yoga! I do like the fact that I don't crash out with sweat everywhere and that I can just put on a smile and go home. Mostly the other courses exhausted me and made my face break out because I was sweating so much. This class is like a play session and go home. The waking up the next day is weird though because your abs say things like: why did you do that to me? or your butt says things like: you can't sit here! It is strange. I am taking the day off today though and am going in tomorrow to just tinker on the machines. Hurray for the gym because so far I have lost two sizes! Only two more to go! Hurray!!

No comments: